Dub Peeple get yer Arses in here -->

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SC0TLANDF0REVER, Dec 9, 2004.

1. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER Rest In Peace, Brother...

I need a little advice on how to install an Alpine Head unit into a
    '99 Passat.

What tools will I need, how do I get the stock unit out, do I need
    any special wiring harness adapters, etc..?

Hooken Sie up, Bitte!

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Run to Best Buy or some car audio place and pick up a wiring harness, and you might need an antenna adapter.

3. SC0TLANDF0REVER

Good idea. I tried looking on Crutchfiled for some info and it didnt say anything about needing any adapters.

It's a Xmas Gift for my GF, and I want to hook it up Xmas eve so she can jam to it starting 12/25 :bigthumb:

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

:cool:

When you order a HU off crutchfield they usually send along any wiring harnesses, or mounting kits along with it. So maybe thats why. :dunno:

5. SC0TLANDF0REVER

crap.

Thanks for the help.
    I guess I'll wing it and find out the hard way.

6. Reverand Jonas

Reverand Jonas Tool > *

dont wing it...get the wiring harness you will not hook it up if you dont get it. i have hooked up 2 decks with out harnesses and its a bitch it took me all night on both to do it...never again...with the harness mabl lke 15 minutes to put the whole thing in

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Did they have the Monsoon system in 99? My dad has a 2000 and has a monsoon. You will certainly need a wiring harness adapter, you can always cut cables and hardwire, but why? Most likely you'll need an antenna adapter as well. Any shop that carries the harness for your car should also carry the antenna adapter. You might also need radio removal keys, or have to make them yourself. These slide into the two slots on either side of the stock radio, hook into release tabs, and unlatch the unit. The whole thing slides out with the keys attached. You can probably pick these up at a local VW dealer, call ahead and maybe they'll just remove the radio for you.

Other than that, you should be OK. However, you might run into problems with the factory monsoon system. This is because it contains an external amp located in the left side of the trunk where the CD changer also goes (if I remember right). The alpine MIGHT overpower the signal inputs on the monsoon amp and damage something. But, most likely you will just need to keep the volume low. I really can't remember if the monsoon wants high or low level input. If you have problems, it's going to suck. You will have to rewire your entire car to make this work, which is why shops charge so much for cars with upgraded sound systems, like VW, Audi, etc. Good luck!