Dub Crew - Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sofakingraw, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I am about to throw some 17's on my Jetta. What suspension modificaitons should I be looking at?

Or should I run the stock set up?

Any opinions, suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

2. Leonard Washington

Leonard Washington OT Supporter

17s FTL, go 18's, Audi reps. You wont need any mods to the suspension for 17,s since they come stock on some mk4s.

3. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I hear mixed comments on 18's though. Some say camber kit is required, while others tell me I need no suspension work as the car is not lowered.

4. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

You don't need to do any suspension mods if you don't want to. Your car will probably look like a 4x4 though.

I can recommend you dozens of different suspension setups, but I'm not going to unless you tell us what kind of driving you do and what you want end-goals you want.

5. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Not trying to make a race car, just a nice street setup. I would like to bring it down a bit, as I am fully aware that my wheel gap will be terrible once I slap some wheels on.

End-goal would be a better handling car for the street, but still drivable in the winter.

6. zomgkt

zomgkt New Member

You can never go wrong with coils.

At the moment I have H&R sports but we all know that H&R is notorious for their uneven ride heights (rear is a bit higher). Going to get coils once I blow out my struts.

7. Chris87

Yes you can. If you don't need them, don't buy them. They're more expensive and will give you a harsher ride.

sofa - I'm going to go on the assumption that you have an mk4? I'd go w/ a good cup kit, or some kind of other spring / strut/shock combo. I only deal w/ a few here at work, so I will only talk of them. That's not to say there are other good options out there though - its just that I don't know much about them...

Springs - Eibach, H&R, Neuspeed all make quality springs.
    Shocks/Struts - Bilstein or Koni.

H&R, and Eibach both make a 'cupkit' which is basically just a shock/spring combo straight from their factory. If you're concerned w/ ride height in the winter, I'd recommend the Eibach b/c its only about a 1.1inch drop compared to ~1.4inch from H&R. The only problem w/ the eibach's is that its unavailable from eibach for another couple weeks. Regardless, expect to pay anywhere from $700-900ish.

Basically any reputable suspension company will make good stuff for your car. I would stay away from ANY & EVERYthing from ebay, and I would also stay away from 'asian' manufacturers (ie tokico)... Your car is European, not Asian. Same thing goes for wheels. Asian wheels on a euro looks fucking retarded and is blasphemy IMO.

If you do have an mk4, I'd also recommend considering a larger rear sway bar. It's not necessary at all, but if you were to do 1 more mod, that should be the one you do.

8. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Price me up a setup then, shipping to N.S.

9. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION

ohh, did i mention suspension before you do wheels? The wheel gap will bug the hell out of you. At least it always has to me!

If you don't mind not being able to adjust your front, go for a cup kit. In all of my cars I've gone this route for a few reasons. It's half the price, a very nice ride, and you can choose the drop you want.

My lowered station wagen rides a lot smoother with the H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sports than the majority of cars I ride in around here.

Chris87, Agreed on the larger rear sway. One of the best modifications you can do on a MK4.

10. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I will most likely do it shortly after

11. Chris87

Year?
    Make?
    Model?
    Engine?

12. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

werd... assuming MKIV though because of the wheel sizes your looking at.

i have a MKII and my 16's look perfect on it. bigger than that and it just looks weird.