dual sport riders

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nosaj, Mar 7, 2005.

1. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

I'm thinking about getting a honda xr650l for riding around town and the trails in norhtern michigan. I wondering if anyone rides their dual sport around town alot and how they perform.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Its always a tradeoff. A bike that does well on the highway usually wont do as well in the dirt. It really depends on how much you plan on spending on the road and what kind of dirt riding you want to do.

The XR650L will do fine for short stints on the highway (not an all day ride) and fire road use. It can be used for a bit more serious dirt use if the suspension is reworked. If you plan on riding some more serious stuff in the dirt and plan on staying on surface roads most of the time I would look more at an XR400 with a dual sport kit. Its significantly lighter than the 650L and with a few hop ups has plenty of power for pretty much anything. If you happen to be a big guy maybe look at an XR650R with a kit.

Check out www.thumpertalk.com. Its a great resource for any 4 stroke bike owner or someone looking to buy one. There are a ton of 650L owners on that site.

Yea there is a killer dual sport ride in Michigan...lasts something like 7 days. I'd love to do that ride.

3. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/index.htm they sponsor and give out stuff for the 7 day trail ride. I already have a fat boy for crusing the hiways. I want a bike for city riding and leaving in the parking lot at work. I am also going to consider the klr 650, I would like to have a liquid cooled bike. I hear alot of talk of the xr getting redone in the next year or so.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The 650R is slated to be redone, but no official word yet. Its replacement might not be out till the 07 model year. I havent heard anything about the 650L.

The KLR is better on the highway, but poor for any dirt use but mild fire roads.