SRS Dual Recovery

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bean, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Bean

Bean Guest

Anyone else doing Dual Recovery meetings? This is a 12 step program for those with addiction/alcoholism issues that also have a mental health issue.

Yes, I know I don't have a sig or avatar yet, but I promise I'll have one in about a week (when I get paid). I would like to talk to other DA people if possible.

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I knew they had Dual Recovery and Dual Diagnosis programs, I wasn't aware there were meetings specifically dedicated to Dual Recovery. You must live in a big city.

Don't worry about the sig or avatar, we don't hate on newcomers in Road To Recovery, we simply try to carry the message of recovery to any alcoholic/addict in need.

3. Bean

Bean Guest

Thanks!

Yes, it's called Dual Recovery Anonymous, and if I can find my copy, I can post the steps here, if it's allowed. I don't live in that big of a city, DRA can be found in quite a few places across the USA. The problem is, that it's kept low key (for the obvious reasons).

I'm really looking forward to sharing my road to recovery. I'm pretty much starting over after relapsing this past weekend on my DOC (heroin). I'm going to my DRA meeting this evening...which make me feel very uncomfortable...

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes, that'd be fine. If you notice, we have the steps posted in one of the stickies, taken from the NA literature. What obvious reasons would it be kept low key, are you referring to the principle of anonymity? So it's an entirely different fellowship, interesting.

Sounds like you have some recovery knowledge in you. Why do DRA meetings make you feel uncomfortable? Are you planning on only attending DRA, or are you going to go to NA as well? Oh yeah and there's a thread called My Story where you can post your story.

5. Bean

Bean Guest

Well, they are kept low key not only for the anonymity reasons, but because a great many of the members suffer from heavy mental health issues and have external issues to deal with in conjunction with addiction issues. Most of the DRA meetings are found in hospitals, or in dual recovery programs.

I'll post the principles and the steps in the stickies.

I'm uncomfortable in *any* 12 step meeting. Because I have mental health issues. Groups of more than 3-5 people make me feel uncomfortable, because I am unable to read the social cues, and I do not know how to respond appropriately. I am Atypically Autistic,and Bipolar with Psychotic Features. The only reason I can go to tonights meeting, is because I have a 'safe' person going with me.

Yes, I've been in and out of 12 step programs since I was 17 and court mandated.

Hopefully, I will be able to work myself up to going to NA meetings as well. Once upon a time, I went to them, and I received benefit from them.

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I see, yeah I understand why they'd be more low key and held in places like hospitals and recovery programs.

Yes, I definitely can relate to feeling uncomfortable in 12-step meetings. I go through phases where I feel incredibly akward and cannot read any social cues to feeling semi-comfortable. I know when I first started it usually just the incredibly akward feelings. There are quite a few people in the meetings I go to who are DD.

How old are you now?

7. Bean

Bean Guest

I will be 35 soon. I figure I know enough program to keep me clean and sober by now...I just haven't learned how to apply it appropriately. Not to mention, I haven't really wanted it until now. And I'm questioning even that.

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes, recovery is for those who want it, not those who need it. It took me several beat-down sessions to finally decide that I wanted it. Willingness will go a long way, couple that with being honest and open-minded and you'll go a long way in recovery. Persistence is another principle not mentioned as often in meetings, but equally important.

9. Bean

Bean Guest

All I know is, I can't keep doing what I'm doing, it's becoming more and more difficult to 'come back' from it, at emotional, physical, and spiritual levels.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Keep coming back to meetings, and you won't have to come back from a relapse. Good luck in your program. You can IM me anytime, also I sent you a private message I'm not sure if you received it. :)

AIM: animalholie

11. Bean

Bean Guest

I received it, and responded. I'll add you to my AIM list.

12. Bean

Bean Guest

When will I get to have more than 5 messages in my message box?

Anyway, This is a cool forum. I've been checking out the place. I think I could feel really comfortable here.

Still no response concerning my original question...anyone else in DRA? Not that it matters much at this point, recovery is recovery.

13. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yeah, this forum moves rather slowly, you'll probably get a couple of responses by the end of the day. More than 5 messages, umm not sure I think after you get buy a subscription/avatar once. Good to have you aboard!

14. Bean

Bean Guest

Well, went to my meeting last night, and felt a modicum more comfortable than I had been. Hopefully this will continue?

My safe person, she says these meetings could be very beneficial for me, seeing as they cover both addiction and mental health issues.

Question: Is there an online copy of the Basic Text?

15. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

I've got a copy of the NA step working guide... still working on finding a basic text online though, short of typing one out :o

(granted, everyone here spends loads of time on the internet, we should just assign pages for people to type out and put them together :o )

I'm not in Dual Recovery myself, but I've known a couple who have been previously...
    though, don't know how to contact them any longer

16. Bean

Bean Guest

http://www.geocities.com/gdlives/bt.pdf

A copy of the Basic Text in pdf format.

Well, I went to my pdoc (psychiatrist) this morning for my monthly meds check. He's really into recovery, and is happy that I'm finally taking steps to insure my own program. He's seen me use for the past three years off and on, and he's always told me that unless I'm clean and sober, his help isn't going to do much for me. I finally believe him.

17. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Very cool. I always was looking for a copy of the basic text in pdf format. It probably breaks copyright laws or something but oh well :)

Yea I don't think additional help from external sources works unless you have endogenous change first. Working on self first is crucial.

And yes this forum can move slow but more people read it than you'd think.

18. Bean

Bean Guest

My next step, is to print out that copy of the Basic Text. I'll pick up a hardbound one as soon as I can, but I want a copy I can write in too (I won't write in hardbound books, sacrilegious!)

19. Bean

Bean Guest

whoops

20. Demon Of Dreams

to be honest, all of the best blue books have been written in...

when that book is passed on later on, you'll realize it :)

its always good to break it in :big grin:

21. Bean

Bean Guest

LOL, sorry, I know the best ones have been written in, but I cannot simply get over my indoctrination that books are sacred, that easily.

22. Demon Of Dreams

depends on the book ... the basic text book I hold sacred but its hte only one I think i'd write in.... anything else? not a chance.

but its kind of like your own little diary, not much room, tons of support... its a good place to put thoughts and meaningful things :)

23. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

Bean, I'm Bipolar with psychotic features and I have about 21 years recovery from alcoholism, and I have gone to Dual Recovery meetings, as you say, in a hospital. The problem was that AA couldn't give me everything I needed (and they do want us to feel complete there, don't they!!) and neither could the Dual Recovery meetings either: I needed the right meds beyond all else and AA, that combination together. What you need will be up to you to determine through your own personal recovery experience. It takes time, one day at a time, and for me it has taken years. For me, finally, it has even come down to the right diet, for I have even had serious diet and eating issues. Things are much better now, but I still go 240 pounds, and I have done OA work for years, but this goes beyond the spiritual and to the eating as well. In any case, if I get psychotic, the twelve steps hold no hope for me, for I can't even think of them, only time and the right meds on a psychiatric ward.

24. Bean

Bean Guest

Thankfully, I've got a good combo on my meds, and they help considerably. But I understand about going psychotic, and nothing helps then. However, I am slowly learning how to deal with this...learning the key and major markers for my episodes, and practicing things that make the episodes less problematic. One of the things I'm learning how to do, is slow my mind down when an episode begins. It's taken a lot of practice, and a LOT of outside help, but I'm slowly learning to do this. I've realised I've more control over my disorder than I thought I had, because of the 12 steps. And yes, AA likes a person to feel complete with them, but thankfully, DRA exists, as do my psych team. I've found that I can work the steps through an episode sometimes, unless it gets really bad and I have to go to the hospital. And even there I'm exposed to the 12 steps, so as long as I'm getting the exposure, some of it sinks in, and it all helps.

I'm one of the lucky ones, in that I can 'feel' an episode coming on. I'm an ultra rapid cycler, and the changes in me are so drastic, that the markers are pretty obvious for me to pick up on. One of the key things I use, is other people...I'm learning how to accept that kind of help because of the program. When my closest people tell me I'm going psychotic, I've learned to listen to them. I make sure now, that I hit the meetings, and even try to share.

The only downside to the DRA meetings, is that I haven't been able to find someone suitable enough to be a sponsor. It looks like I'm going to have to find a sponsor either through the regular AA meetings, or regular NA meetings. This is going to be really interesting, because I a)am a lesbian, and need to find someone that is gender appropriate for me b)need to find someone that is knowledgable about MDPF's or is willing to learn c) capable of understanding that addiction is addiction, doesn't matter to what and d)has a fair amount of solid clean time with a good head on their shoulders concerning life matters.

I'm not asking for much... LOL

25. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

It sounds like you have a good solid grasp of your situation and that is a terrific foundation. Good luck!!