Dual Quad Workstation Motherboard Recommendation.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BitchThatEatsOnions, Feb 3, 2007.

1. BitchThatEatsOnions

BitchThatEatsOnions New Member

I am looking to build a new computer and would like a Dual Quad Core. The system will mainly be used for rendering so the 8 cores won't go to waste. I need a STABLE motherboard recommendation. I have always loved Tyan and Supermicro stuff...and am willing to pay to play. THX

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I believe Newegg is selling a single model of Asus motherboard that can use dual quad-core Athlon 64's in AM2 sockets. It also has more SATA sockets than a sane person would know what to do with. Check it, Bitch.

3. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Thought AMD was only up to dual core's per socket. An AMD setup would require 4 sockets and 4 way compatible Opterons since Athlon64's top out 2 socket dual core. Only dual quads (8 cores on 2 sockets) available are going to be Intel Xeons and use the 5000 series chipset and even that may be limited. Given you're doing rendering, you may also have video card requirements etc. 8 cores does mean a lot of FSB thrash and a very big investment. At that level, I may wait a few months for the AMD 4 core chips since they tend to scale better than the Intel setup.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

AMD will be rolling out quads by this fall, and the motherboard I referred to will support two of them.

The kind of video card he gets will only affect his rendering if the software he's using knows how to tell the video card to redirect its output back into the computer instead of out to the screen. Otherwise, all the rendering will be done in the CPU, so it can be captured frame-by-frame without having to worry about lag.