Dual/Quad Core

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Oct 30, 2007.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Are there many games/applications that support mutiple cpus. Would like to upgrade to a newer system but I assume the only advantages to using multiple CPUs is if the software supports it otherwise a single core would be fine yes/no ?

I do a lot of video editing and encoding and while doing so I would like to still use the computer while its going in the background so I need some CPU power (and ram but I know what to look for there). And current games already require some decent CPU/Video specifications so if I am going to go all out I might as well do so but would it be worth it?

2. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Nope, no game to date utilizes dual-core/dual-processors systems.

But obviously, it would be great for everything else you would want to use it for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7+1050722265+105101317&name=3.0GHz+and+higher

Should work out for you pretty well. If you wanna spend more ... you can find a Quad-Core around there as well.

3. Kelex

Kelex New Member

Multithreaded apps are here and more are coming towards that direction.

For multitasking (2 or more apps running) no matter how fast your single processor is, as more and more programs you open, it's performance will decline. This is where multiple cores/cpus kick ass.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Cores are like cars. Having two cars doesn't get you to work twice as fast, but it can let the wife can take the kids to school at the same time.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!