Dual P4 Motherboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 25, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have a couple of 1.5GHz P4s that came out of a pair of dead laptops. I have been looking for over a week for a motherboard (of ANY size) that takes two P4s instead of two Xeons, but damn if I can find one. Do 2x P4 boards even exist? Does anybody know a make/model of one? I really don't care about outright performance anymore, I just want to find a friggin board already.

Don't tell me to check NewEgg or TigerDirect or CDW, I already did.

2. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

you'd be wasting your money so why bother

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

4. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

It's a P4 socket 478

Dual socket 478 motherboard = no

Dual socket 478 computer = yes/expensive

You'd need two socket 478 SBC's, which go for around $500 USD new, sometimes on ebay in the $200 USD range (search for "478 SBC"), attached to a backplane of some description, which you should be able to pick up for under $100.

The two SBCs have to be exact matches, and the backplane has to be compatible for the SBCs you bought, then you have to complete some serious mental gymnastics to get the BIOS integrated and then more mental gymnastics to get whatever OS you go with working properly and actually taking advantage of both processors.

Soooo...

You could spend well over a grand US$ and lose several months of your life trying to make it all work out,

or...

You could go to a local swap meet, and probably trade the the cranky old P4s you have, and if you throw in a couple of functioning laptop hard drives that you might also have ripped out, and some other semi usefull components, and sucker someone into trading you a dual processor Xeon board w/ processors.

But that would involve icky things like talking to people IRL and maybe a bit of sunlight.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

IIRC Intel never released a dual P4 chipset. There may be some oddball manufacturer that made one, but as stated, you're probably a lot further ahead to get rid of the P4's and get some xeons or athlon MP's or a new dual core cpu and board if you really want to run 2 cpu's.

6. deusexaethera

Wow. That's a crazy technical answer there Grelmar, thanks for all the detail. As for the "real life" sarcasm, kiss my ass. I'm a 23 year old middle class white male who enjoys mountain biking, long walks on the beach, building cozy fires in the winter, and eating fried chicken. Occasionally. Oh, and I work in real life with real life people. Not occasionally.

The idea just hit me that I should make a computer out of the two 1.5s if I could, because they were free, whereas a 3GHz chip is not free. Oh well.

Anybody want to buy a pair of 1.5GHz Centrinos? (grin)

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Centrinos aren't P4s :hs:

8. CyberBullets

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. deusexaethera

Pish-posh. Then I guess I don't have Centrinos after all, because the CPUs in question have 478 pins and they work fine in a single-P4 board. Are Centrinos the ones that have 479 pins?

10. CyberBullets

Last time I checked Centrinos were only good for laptops (power scaling, low voltage, low heat, wifi) and are Socket 479.

I'm guessing you have Celerons. :mamoru:

11. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Heheh, actually, the sarcasm was more directed inward than anything... I have a nasty habit of forgetting that there's a world outside of work/sleep/wife/internet.

Seriously though, don't know what town you're in, but most major cities have weekly or monthly swap meets for geeks. They can be kinda fun, and if you've got some stripped down parts from those laptops, you might be able to trade them for a dual board w/ xeons. Laptop parts tend to hold their value better than desktop parts (just scope around EBay if you don't believe.)

Not only that, but sometimes you luck out. That obscure, random part you have sitting in a box in the basement is sometimes EXACTLY the obscure random part someone else is looking for to keep some computer going long enough to get the data off it.

Oh, and as for the reason there's no dual CPU chipset for the socket 478s? Intel does this so that they can force business customers to pay a premium for "Server" processors, which are architecturally almost no different from their desktop chips.

12. deusexaethera

I figured as much. Thanks for the info.