Dual Opteron boards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EvilSS, Jun 9, 2005.

1. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I am building a pair of dual Opteron machines and need some recommendations on Dual Opteron MB's. The boards seem to be all over the map feature-wise (who the hell still uses USB 1.1 on some of their boards?? Tyan, that's who!) Tyan seems to make most of the available boards, but I'm not totally impressed with their features. While these machines will mostly be used for running VM's, I also plan to hijack them for the occasional bout of gaming or video work (not their primary focus however).

Any suggestions?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Tyan makes great workstation/low-end-server stuff. And in that market, USB2.0 is not needed, let alone wanted.

It's very hard to find a good dual board with non-ecc memory and a decent graphics solution.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Tyan has a bunch of newer Dual boards, but their features are all over the place. Performance apparently varies too from reviews I've been able to find. Anyone other than Tyan making decent Dual boards right now?

Most new servers are coming with USB 2.0 now, not that it gets any real use. Doesn't cause any real problems though. It's just odd that Tyan would make a board with 1.1 and 2.0. Of course they where also shipping one of their boards with Firewire headers but no port card was available.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

5. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

AMD Tech Tour Bundles
    AMD is starting it's tech tour next week and they have a couple of bundle specials for sale. The only catch is you have to pre-order online when you register for the tour and you have to pick it up the day it's in that city. Here's the bundles:

$250
    — AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ 939 pin processor
    — Asus A8N-E Socket 939 motherboard
    — Microsoft® Windows® XP x64 Edition

$500
    — 2 - AMD Opteron™ 246 CPUs
    — Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) motherboard
    — Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition

Get more info and register on their site.

just to let you know

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Argh! The closest they come (came) to me is Chicago. I think the airline tickets would make it a wash.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They happen to be in Irvine the same time that I'm planning my trip down to Los Angeles... I wonder if I shall order one or not??? :wiggle: I don't need it... But that is true with most of my computer goodies... For $500 I could also get my truck lifted, but then I must do wheels and tires, too... Decisions, Decisions.

8. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

im going to the nj one and have to decide whether to build a system for college or get an ibm thinkpad; i like them both