dual monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

i just gotta new vid card and i am now running dual 17" monitors...i love it ....gotta few ?s though....im using Hydravision...came with ATI card.....also how do i have 2 different wallpapers on each monitor...everytime i change the wallpaper...its applied to both monitors....and i have a dell (trinitron) and a hitachi monitor....i cant seem to get the color settings equal on them....any program out there that can help me do that ?

2. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

also whats a better program than hydravision that i can get

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how do u run dual monitors? you card needs 2 inputs for 2 monitors?

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Or two video cards...

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

i have to video cards...i just gotta radeon 9600 for xmas..and my older one is a radeon 7500
    so im running 2 cards...2 monitors....

6. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i thought there was only 1 agp slot for the video cards on motherboards? unless u use pci slot as well?

7. 01000101

01000101 New Member

the radeon 9600 pro i have has two outputs, one needs a dongle to use a normal monitor, but i can run two monitors from the one card. the secondary monitor stops responding when im playing a game tho, it just freezes on whatever was on it when i loaded the game

8. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

ya im using the agp and pci slots for both cards

9. unvme

unvme Guest

look at matrox video cards...they kick ass and are made for dual support of monitors and also one monitor and one tv..or even the new one supports dual monitor and 1 tv....check them out the matrox 450 and 550 are fairly cheap and have one of the best video i have seen from a video card. the are made for video editing of very very high quality so they know what they are doing...

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

The poster already has 2 video cards.

For the color problem, you'll have to play with your monitor and video card settings to get them to match. They're probably always going to be a little off. But you may want to fiddle with it to get them somewhat close.

As for the desktop wallpaper, I believe Windows just takes the wallpaper and dumps it to both monitors. I think even if you make a super huge wallpaper, it duplicates it on both monitors. Although maybe someone has an app or a trick that will work around this.

I'm running a 19" Hitachi (from Sun) and a 17" Sony Trinitron. I've got a PCI card and an AGP card and it took some time to find a 2nd card that would play nicely with all my other gear in this box.

11. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I got a Radeon 9600 Pro All-In-Wonder for $180 after rebate, it has more ouputs than any other card I have seen and will outperform any matrox card... didn't they go out of business? Also, we have had issues with matrox and OpenGL on multiple monitors with our software...

12. affende

affende Guest

try downloading "dualmon" .... that might help with your problem......and if i were you, i would take out the PCI vid card and use an adapter to convert VGA/DVI or vice versa.....should fix your freeze problem. correct me if im wrong

EDIT: running from the one AGP card ahould fix your color problem

13. Color isn't so much to do with the card dispensing the info, but rather the monitors itself. There are professional tools to calibrate the colors, but that's costly. Softwise, you can apply a solid background color and play eye detective.

www.realtimesoft.com for the dualmon software that aff_mort mentioned. This is a great little resource conscience tool. You can do a lot of stuff with it in terms of management.