dual monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by affende, Oct 8, 2003.

1. affende

affende Guest

i really want to set up two monitors on my main comp so i can, say, play a game on one while i continue to have no life on OT on the other, is there a way to do this, and if so how? :eek3:

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Get a video card that supports dual output. That's the easiest..

Or you could just setup two video cards, but that is a huge pain in the ass.

3. affende

affende Guest

i have an ATI radeon 9600 pro, i assume that should do it, do i need spec. software. i am iliterate w/ software.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

get two computers, when you are playing a game, you don't want to waste resources, plus it is nice to have two machines, you can use one for email, browsing and a file server, and use the other for gaming and pr0n...

5. affende

affende Guest

i have two, but on is linux and im just now starting to learn how to run a comp at command line. i don't have enough money to build another decent system. plus, dual monitors looks cool as shit, but thanx.

6. DatacomGuy

BTW, most dual monitor setups won't let you play games and surf OT at the same time.. depending on the game and the card.

I have the ATI 9600... I could be playin' with Midnight Club 2 on my left, and if someone IM's me on my right, I have to either exit the game or minimize/ALT-TAB to the IM window, which screws up the game.

7. affende

affende Guest

so two comps is the best way to go for what i want to do, if so...bye, bye linux!! :)

what about two monitors as one desktop?

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You could just install X on Linux and use it for surfing the web while you game on your Windows box.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Setting up two cards for two monitors isn't a pain in the ass with win98 and up, but the limitation of playing a game in one monitor and browsing OT in the other isn't ultimately the video card's fault. It's the nature of the OS. While you can have as many monitors your motherboard can support, you only have one mouse, one keyboard to control everything. Obviously it controls what's active. You can't control a game and your IM sessions at the same time with one key board/mouse. I have a similar monitor and tv setup and I watch divx's on the TV and use the pc on the monitor at the same time. Works great.

What you should do is to get a KVM. If you're the only one using the computers. I have one for my pc's and I love it. Make home pc computing much more convient. With this setup, you can essentially play a game on one box and do whatever on the other. Serially ofcourse. Not parallel-ly like you originally hoped for.

-crontab -l

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  10. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

2 monitors as 1 desktop. go through instructions for the 2 monitors (if 2 CRTs, one has to use a DVI-VGA converter, if 1 CRT, 1 flat panel, you should be fine). Then, go to display properties (right click on desktop and select properties). go to the settings tab, click on the second monitor and select "extend my desktop onto this device"

You should now have both monitors to work with on your desktop!

11. affende

affende Guest

thanx for taking the time to help a noob like me, you have all been a great help and have given me multiple options to fit my taste. thanx

12. Penguin Man

:werd: I've got a KVM with my new setup, it's so handy, I just press scroll lock twice and it switches computers :big grin:

13. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

that certainly works, makesure to get a digital KVM if you are going to do that.

14. affende

affende Guest

:werd: thanx guys

15. DatacomGuy

I have the Belkin omniview. :bowdown:

16. Penguin Man

Hm, I looked at the back of the box from my video card last night, and it says I can run dual monitors off it (one off the VGA, one off the DVI), so I might have to give that a try tonight... It'd be handy for programming, I could have code in one monitor and debugger output in the other :big grin:

17. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Dual monitors are the shiznit. I have one slightly off centre and the other to the right of it.