dual monitors vga/s-video

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raizen, Aug 1, 2005.

1. raizen

raizen Guest

well i have a radieon 9000 with a vga out and an s-video out and i woul like to hook up my tv and my monitor at the same time........or if it is not possible to hook them both up at the same time i would like to use the tv only.....

if i can't do any of these things what is the s-video out for???

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You don't want to use the TV. TV has a resolution of 640x480, and the interlacing will make the picture unbearable to look at. (interlacing is the process of drawing odd-numbered lines for one frame, then even-numbered lines for the next, and so on.)

Unless you have an HDTV, of course. In that case the picture would be nice and clear, but you still won't want to use the S-Video port, because most HDTVs can connect to a DVI cable. (radeon 9000's should have them unless they're cheap knockoffs.)

Why does the card have an S-Video port then? It's one more nifty feature they can put on the side of the box.

3. Sa7aN

Sa7aN STEELERS FTW

my tv has reg monitor plug, dvi and s-vid and it looks fine playing movies on the reg monitor connection at 640x480 so dont llistento this guy

btw its a 65"tv so if it looks fine on mine it will look good on just about any

4. raizen

raizen Guest

well how will i set it up? i just want to watch vids on the tv that are on my pc..

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You do this in Display Properties - I'm guessing you have a laptop based on the model number. Go into the last tab, advanced and there should be a bunch of tabs for multiple displays. You need ATI's drivers installed properly of course.

6. raizen

raizen Guest

i have a desktop... i was looking for my card on line and could never seem to find a desctop version wierd...any way i cant get the tv to work it jsut says diconected and yes i did conect it...would drivers afect this?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Maybe - but it does detect if you've actually connect it regardless of whether or not you've gone through the process of activating it.

I would definitely install the latest drivers.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That was rude. Anyway, the guy said he wanted to use the S-Video connection for his TV, not a VGA connection. I have a Radeon 9200 and I've used the S-Video to hook up to a TV and the picture was atrocious. I'm sure it would be better using a VGA cable, though I've never seen a TV with a VGA port, but apparently you have one.

I maintain my point that, if you're using an S-Video connection, you will almost certainly be disappointed with the picture quality. If you can find another connection, however, the picture would probably be better.