Dual monitors and start menu question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MobileSuit, Mar 29, 2006.

1. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

Is there a way to have the start menu appear on both monitors? I have seen some programs that have a start menu on both monitors, with only the programs running on that monitor on the start menu on that monitor.

What do you guys use?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

In for answer to this too.

3. chips

chips ...

UltraMon

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

UltraMon will extend the taskkbar to both or all displays, but you will only have the start button in the primary display. Each taskbar only shows applications from the monitor it is on, so I'm assuming that's what you are asking, but AFAIK, there will only be one start button.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

what he said.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

bah, UltraMon is like $40. Is there really no OSS/Freeware/XP hack to do it?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

UltraMon is worth it simply for the "move monitor", "stretch monitor" buttons in the title bars, and dividing the taskbar tasks to the monitor the window is on.

However, if you have an nVidia card, their software will at least stretch the bar, minus the extra features.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

nVidia's one saving grace, in my estimation.

my opinions=>:mepoke:<=jolly's sensibilities

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I want one monitor that is 30" big. Then maybe another one 30" big when I get spoiled. Everyone should have a 30" er.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No, not worth $40 for just that. Sorry, but that's freaking over-priced. $19 maybe.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay. worth means different things to different people. I think an extra few grand on the price of a truck for leather and navigation is worth it -- other's say that "its a truck" and "doesn't need that crap" or "not worth the money".

12. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

in for possible response about 2 start menus still...

13. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I don't know anything about adding another start menu to the taskbar on the 2nd monitor, but there are some other option that accomplish a similar affect.

-There's program so when you right click (on the desktop) it is your start menu. So right click on the 2nd monitor, it opens the normal right click dialog + a start menu option. I don't recall the program name, Google is your friend.

-You can also make an active desktop. Some people like these, others dont. On the 2nd desktop right above the taskbar where the normal start menu would be, make a link to the start menu. I don't know specifics about this.

-Use something like Object Dock Tabs for the programs that you access a lot, and place it on the 2nd desktop.

Just giving options since I didn't have an answer.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

is it an nVidia card?

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have an nVidia card. You basically have three choices:

1. Have the same exact thing on each monitor. Pretty useless unless you're doing a presentation and the other guy has his own monitor connected to your computer.

2. Treat both monitors as one huge monitor. Your start menu will start at the lower left and go all the way across to the right side of the right monitor. Why this mode sucks: because it treats it as one monitor, when you maximize a window, it fills up BOTH screens. This is pretty useless, especially for MS Office applications.

3. Treat each monitor seperately. The start menu is only on the primary monitor (but of course you can drag it and move it around to either side, top, or bottom of either monitor). Any program you maximize maximizes only in the monitor it is in, which is awesome and useful. If you want a program to fill up both monitors, you can easily grab the corner and stretch it.

As for putting a seperate start menu on each monitor, I don't know how or why you would want to do that.

It's better with the start menu on only one, because then the other monitor is 100% real estate space. I keep my start menu on the left monitor, and I make it two "bars" thick (instead of the default one). This not only gives me more room for open programs to appear (more monitors means more programs running simultaneously), but also shows the time, day, and date, instead of just the time :)