Dual Monitor Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frequency, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Ok quick(not really) question.

I run 2 LCD monitors connected via DVI to a single card. I've been running this setup for almost 8 months now. Well last night I disconnected my PC moved my desk around and reconnected it all again.

Boot her up.

Only 1 display works. Hmmm...
    Check all the cables, all is in order.
    Disconnect Display A. Reboot. Display B works just fine.
    Reconnect Display A. Disconnect Display B. Reboot. Display A works just fine.

So both displays still work, both ports on the back still working also. They just do not work together.

If I go into display settings and turn "Extend my Desktop on to this monitor" hit apply, the option becomes unchecked and will not use the other display.
    I'm really at a loss for trouble shooting this after playing with it for 2 hours last night.

Vid Card: nvidia 8600 GTS
    Vista Ultimate SP1

2. Chris

Chris New Member

This happens to me sometimes if I disconnect one or both of my monitors.

Try reinstalling the nvidia drivers then plug everything in and reboot. If you only get one screen coming on once your back into windows, try unplugging the dvi cable for then screen that is working while in windows and see if that makes it detect the other screen.

Trust me, I run a setup almost exactly like you and its a pain sometimes when things like this happen. You just have to play with it till it decides to work again.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Yea video drivers are the only ones i didn't uninstall last night. Will try that first, I have tried the unplug the working one and it just leave me with no display

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Driver re-install does nothing but it appears I have tracked down the issue. I ts stuck in sleep mode. and some info on the monitor has been corrupted

5. Chris

Chris New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Blackberry 8300: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/546; U; en))

Reinstall monitor drivers then

6. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

did you try the simple solution? look at display manager and see if the other monitor is enabled?

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Fixed.
    The problem was with the monitor itself. There is a defects in the Viewsonic where it can become stuck in sleep mode and basically will not communicate via DVI with the PC.
    The Fix I used was:
    Connect a the Viewsonic Via SVGA and DVI.
    Boot the PC.
    Remove the SVGA cable.
    Allow the monitor to just run using the DVI cable for approx 15 - 20 secs.
    Remove the power cable from the monitor.
    Be sure to use the power button to ensure all power is drained from the monitor.
    Reboot your PC and viola!