Dual monitor help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I've been running dual monitors at home for years with no problems. My problem here is at work:

I have a laptop and a 17" LCD. When I first connected the LCD, it defaulted to using that one as my "primary monitor." That was no problem, because it was bigger than my laptop screen and I liked using it as the primary.

A few weeks later, I went to give a presentation and connect my laptop to a projector. The projector worked just fine as a second monitor, but when you do a "view slideshow" in PowerPoint, it will only display on the primary monitor. So no matter what, the slideshow would appear on my laptop, but not on the projector. The option in setup to "use this device as my primary monitor" was greyed out.

Now I'm back at my desk, and I reconnected the LCD monitor to my laptop, and it's forcing it to be the secondary monitor again.

So my question is, how do I force a certain monitor to be primary? I know it's possible, I just can't figure it out.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

On my laptop Fn F7 scrolls among the options for which monitor to use and how to use it.

Read the manual that came with your laptop to figure out how to use a secondary screen.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I will try that later today. It's a laptop my company gave me so I don't think they have the manual still.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

there's this thing called teh intarents....... load the google and type your manufacturer and model and whatever else you know about it and then add "manual" and see what you get.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I see the monitor image on my F7 key, but when I press Fn+F7 nothing happens. wtfbbq.

edit - I had to disable the other monitor and THEN hit Fn+F7. That forced the LCD to be monitor number 1 and made the laptop go blank. Then I went into desktop properties and set the second monitor (now the desktop) to have the desktop extended onto it. Now it works.

Thanks!