dual monitor help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DoucheBag, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

hey guys.. got a quick question. i want to go with dual monitors. But theres one thing i want to know. Can i have it set up so that like.. theres 2 different screens?
    I mean.. i dont care if the toolbar/background stretches to both. i dont mind if theres 2 different pics.. and the toolbar is only on one screen. not a huge deal. But the thing is.. For me to go with duals... i cant have them side by side.. my desk wont allow it. lol. So can i get like.. maybe games (probably a smaller monitor.. around 17".. preferably for gaming) and my main monitor like a 19"? And only have the games load on one screen.. and not both? thanks in advance.. hope i explained that well enough.

2. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Hmmm. It should be set up that way from the start, or you could do that from your video card options. My cousin's taskbar used to stretch from one screen to the other, but it's only on one monitor now.

He also has it set so that games load in one screen, but unfortunately, other programs still load on that screen, too. I'm sure you can set it separate, though. By the way, he's got a 17" ViewSonic G series, and a 19" ViewSonic P series.

EDIT: They're both running on a ATI 9600 All-in-Wonder Pro.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, you can do that.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

use a program like ultramon to get the task bar on the other screen. very nice little handy program for dual monitors.

5. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

as in 2 9600's... or both running of the same one?
    And i dont really care if other programs load in the other screen.. my main concern is that my games/movies will load on the smaller one.
    does anyone know of any other vid cards that will support this? preferably something in the mid price range.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ANY dual-display card will do this.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Not sure how it works on Windows, but on Linux it depends entirely on the WM you're using. I'm guessing Windows can do it just fine.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windows it's just fine. On linux I know Gnome and KDE both support it... but those are the only two WM's I've used on *nix.