Dual Layer DVD's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Nov 16, 2005.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What brands of DL media do you guys use if any?

I burned my first DL disc last night and I'm pretty impressed (Sony DRU-800A). This is the first time that I have ever noticed how much quality gets lost when backing up to a single layer disc.

Anyway, the disc played well in my standalone player, even though it seemed to take a few seconds longer to load and switch between menus.

There seemed to be a small gap in the recording path at the end of the disc, but it still payed fine.

Any recommendations on DL media?

I bought a 3 pack of Memorex DVD+R DL from Staples. I heard Verbatim is good, but wasn't ready to pay $70 for a 30-pack at Sams Club and I haven't seen them anywhere else.

2. lazyjk

lazyjk Uncle Sam wants you for the NEW Freedom Fighters!!

DL FTL

I see no reason to buy dual layer at the present.
    Even if I have a movie that won't fit on one disc, I would rather get up and put the next one in, instead of paying exorbinant prices for DL media

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well I just happen to have a DL burner and figured I'd try it out...

The media will eventually come down...

I just bought a 3 pack of Verbatim online for ~$12, which isn't too bad.

4. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

Verbatim work just fine for me. Media is media as far as I'm concerned. Way back when, it used to make a big difference. But, knock-off Japanesey brands used to be completely subpar, now they're all practically the same.

Unfortunately, I checked the Staples database at work and Staples has not had a "feature" sale on DL DVD's... ever. Maybe when the technology is a little less new, I suppose?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I found the Verbatim in a 3-pack for $12 from www.blank-cd-cdr.com. I got some Memorex from Staples just to try out a DL disc. I don't think Staples even sells Verbatim media.

Ever since I got this burner, it had been very picky with the brand of media I use, so I figured I would ask what other brands are out there.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I never said they were cheap. I just bought a few to try out so when the DL prices come down I'll know what to get.

Considering everywhere I go, 3-packs go for about $20, $12 seemed like a better deal to me.

7. darnit

darnit New Member

every now and then Ill find a 3 pack of memorex at compusa on sale, picked upa 3 pack for 15. I only use DL for my 'back-up's" of certain movies, ie SW3. Other than that, if you dont have HD tv you wont notice much difference on compression, if you only do the main movies.
    The biggest complaint I have heard from HD user, is the black areas of the movie are splotchy