Dual Layer DVD Burner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redwingg91, Jan 2, 2005.

1. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

Need to make backups of movies (DVD to DVD), I'm thinking of buying a dual layer DVD burner (under $200). Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Fee

Fee Boba Fett Likes the Nips

3. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

fuck...forgot to mention i need an external. thx for the info though

4. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Just to mention, duel layer disks are FAR from low priced. Add to that the disks don't play in standard DVD players (and I've had a few problems getting them to read on other DVD drives). So for backups, you'd really be better off spending the money on something like a 160GB NetDisk (http://www.ximeta.com/products/network_drives/netdisk/index.php). I've got two hooked up to my network and I've not needed to use the Duel Layer in my Vaio since.

5. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

so what would be the best way to successfully copy a DVD and have it play on standard players? two single layer discs?

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

for backing up DVDs (and I do it often with a 3 and 5 year old), I use DVD Shrink. You can choose what features you want to include/remove from the disc, and the compression is hardly, if at all, noticable on the finished product.

I had trouble with DVD Shrink a few times not completing during encoding. After much research, I find that if you run DVDIdle's DVD Region & CSS Free, the decryption is much better and the failure rate is reduced greatly.

hope this helps.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Do you mean DUAL layer? Or DOUBLE layer. Because dual layer burners are *expensive* (read : $1000+). However, DOUBLE layer burners are cheap (read : $100>)

And defeating encryption on a DVD is illigal ;)