dual exhaust?!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 02CivicsiR, Feb 5, 2002.

1. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

I've heard several insghts on thsi, does it increase or decrease gas mileage? I have a 96 s-10 blazer2-door and i am interested, also does it add any horsepower?

Basically, what besides just adding noise does it do?

2. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

It can give you a considerable increase in horsepower on a bigger engine. But with your (4.3 im assuming), it will most likely not make a difference. In fact it could hurt your power. Your engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to perform at its peak, if you dual it out it will be to unrestricted. If you want sound just get a new muffler. i personally have a flowmaster 40 series on my 2000 4.3 S10, it is pretty nice sounding and not too loud.

3. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Are you talking true duals or just duals from the muffler back? True duals would cause a loss of backpressure and kill your low end power. A lot of guys I know have gotten the flowmasters on their s-series, the 40 series / nondelta is the loudest (nice rumble to it, not that buzzing sound like rice mobiles have), 50 series is quieter. You'd probably be best off finding some people in your area who have them and hear them both to see which one you like. I don't know how it'd affect the gas mileage, it'd probably worsen mine when I get it just cause I'd always be on it to hear the exhaust rumble :big grin:

4. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I cant help on the gas mileaage thing. I already got 13mpg before I got it so i didnt really care any more.

5. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Don't do it. Besides running into the problem of how to route the pipes, you will actually lose some low-end torque. Just get a good slightly bigger diameter pipe, muffler, and cat and you will be fine. Also dont forget a better air filter setup.

6. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

well, first i would be having a shop do it, but i guess my question is whether when you say to just get a new muffler, would you suggest to split those pipes off after the muffler too? Also, whats a cat? im pretty new to this stuff, in case you hadn't caught on yet. ANyway, a guy at a local shop estimated 380 for the job with chrome tips. Thanks guys

7. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

yeah its the 4.3 vortec

8. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

A cat is the catalytic converter. there are aftermarket ones out there that offer a little more flow to them therefore giving you more power. the problem is that catalytic converters are there to reduce the emissions on your car. if you remove them or replace them, you may not pass emission tests, which depending on where you live could be a problem. As far as dualing it out after the muffler, it is all preference. i have my factory pipe exit just because i go offroad almost every weekend and dont want anything fancy. But if you want something that looks nice you may want a dual pipe set up with a nice set of chrome tips. Talk to the guys at the shop and see what they can do for you. That price seems a little high, even if you were going to dual it out, it must be for a true daul setup and not just a dual after the mufflers. I would go get another price, if you need any more help, let me know.

9. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

Here is a pic of my exhaust exit, which i am sure that you have too. I do have a flowmaster, but i chose to keep the factory pipe. I more or less just wanted the sound.

10. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

yeah, that is actually the second quote i've received, my question though is, what system am I getting? They say 380 but is that flowmaster, edelbrock, what? thanks

11. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

You'd have to ask them really. They may be custom-bending pipes for you, that usually gets a little pricey. Make sure you go to a shop with a good rep and don't let 'em rush you into a decision without them giving you the whole story on what they're going to do w/ your truck.

12. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

You might save yourself some money too if you order the muffler online then just find a shop to install it for you.

13. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

Since I just wanted sound i had them cut out my factory muffler and install the flowmaster. This meant that there was no pipe added to it. It cost me around 115 to get it done.

14. Pat McCrotch

Pat McCrotch Guest

You might save money by buying a true cat back system and bolting it on yourself. I recently added a Gibson cat back to my truck. I got mandrel bends and a great sound and came out cheaper than adding a Flowmaster, Ravin, etc. My price was $249 and shipping. It took about an hour to bolt it on and I was good to go. Now it isn't duals. It is the swept side style that has one exit out the side. My .02, but definitley shop around...

15. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

He has a good point, there are several companies that make bolt on kits. Gibson is one, Borla makes one(but is more expensive), and there may be a few more. If you have any basic sort of mechanical knowledge you should be able to put it on yourself, there fore saving yourself money.

16. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

does anyone else have any ideas or insight on the gas mileage thing?

17. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 98 Dodge Ram w/318, I put a cat back dual exhaust with exits out the rear. $ was about 350 with stainless steel exhaust tips. Looks better, sounds better, gas mileage............maybe a tad better but Dodge's are not well known for their mileage anyway.