dual dvd drive problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have two dvd drives, on a DVD-ROM (slave) and a DVD burner (master). I recently had the motherboard replaced under warranty, and since I got the new mobo in, the slave drive runs slower when ripping dvds. When I change from master/slave and put both drives on cable select,the drive that was previously set to slave now runs faster, while the previous master drive runs slower. I originally had this same problem when I added the second drive, but solved the problem by changing both drives from CS and using the master and slave settings. I changed the jumpers back to master and slave and the problem is still there. I checked in the device manager and it shows two Primary IDE channels, and the first one under device 0 and device 1 both show current transfer mode as Ultra DMA Mode 5, and the second listing of the primary IDE channel as device 0 having Ultra DMA mode 2, and Device 1 using PIO mode, while teh secondary IDE channel is not applicable.

Any idea what could be causing the slave drive to run slow, and how I can make it be fast again?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If nothing else, the slave is running slower because it's the slave. On IDE cables, the Master always gets priority; hence the naming convention.

I don't know why your computer is showing two primary channels; there should be one primary channel and one secondary channel, each with a device 0 and a device 1. (whether you're actually using both devices on both channels is a different matter.)

At any rate, the devices that get used together the most should be on separate cables. Usually that means that the hard drive and the DVD reader are on one cable (because you don't need the hard drive to watch movies) and the DVD burner is on the second cable by itself (because the DVD burner pulls files from the hard drive while it's burning). If you have two hard drives, put the OS hard drive and the DVD burner on the first cable, and put the data/movies/games hard drive and the DVD reader on the second cable. That way the DVD reader can install stuff onto the OS hard drive quickly, and the DVD burner can pull data off the second hard drive quickly.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The hard drives are SATA, so they are each on their own cable. But the IDE devices are both on the same cable, but I don't use each device at the same time, I use the DVD-ROM drive for ripping, and the burner for burning. I didn't have this problem before the mobo was swapped out. It's a pretty new Dell E510, it's not even 3 months old.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Either way, putting the two DVD drives on separate cables will speed them up. Otherwise, they have to share. And when one drive is set to Slave, it always runs slower. It's a holdover from when IDE was first created.

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

You don't seem to understand that it never ran slower before the mobo was replaced. It may run a tad bit faster on it's own cable, but it ran just fine before even though it shared a cable. I want to know what might have caused this? Now, when ripping a dvd, the slave drive only rips at a max speed of about 1.3x, whereas before it would reach speeds of over 12x, while still on the same cable as the master drive. So I don't think putting it on a diff. cable will solve my problem.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

sounds like cmos settings are the culprit.
    also, have you tried a different cable, you'd be surprised how many times i've come across bad cables

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I didn't try a different cable, but when I change the jumper settings on the drives to cable select, the one that ran slow before runs fast, and vice versa. It worked just fine before the mobo was changed, and I didn't change any settings. I don't see anything in the BIOS to change any options for IDE devices. Something is really wrong because even when ripping a dvd at 1.3x, and playing .mp3's with windows media player, the music gets choppy, but when I rip with the other drive, the music plays fine.

I think it's using PIO and not DMA mode, how can I make it use DMA? It's set to use DMA if available, so how do I make it available.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

ok, I went back into the bios, and apparently I missed something the first time, because I did see the options I was looking for now, and I turned on the drive and viola, everything is back as it should be.

Thanks for everyones help.