Dual Core vs Single Core version gaming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wolfden, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Wolfden

Wolfden :trance:

I'm going to be rebuilding my pc once the AMD price slash goes into effect. I want to go dual core, but hear dual core blows for gaming - anyone with experience with this?

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

No it doesn't blow. It's just that nearly all games today will not take advantage of both cores. Dual cores are generally used for multi-tasking but in no way do they "suck" at gaming, might be overkill yes but at today's prices, or better yet the technology and prices to be released at end of july would result in a no brainer to actually get a dual core CPU.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dual core doesn't blow for gaming -- most likely, whoever told you this had expected that the two cores could add together for double the speed, and they were disappointed to find out that's not how it works. The cores are separate execution units and they can't magically combine their powers.

The basic rule is:

MHz = horsepower (there are other factors too, but let's keep it simple)
    Cores = torque

The number of cores your computer has affects the number of things it can do at the same time without bogging down. Obviously, that affects the performance of the computer under heavy load, but if all you're doing is browsing the web, you'll never notice the difference between single core and dual core.

4. Wolfden

Wolfden :trance:

ahhh Thanks, I kinda figured that. It's common sense and I couldn't really see how it would make a difference.