Dual Core or Pentium 4?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nmt6789, Aug 17, 2006.

1. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

So, I am looking into getting a new desktop and I noticed that most companies are offering dual core systems. I realize that dual core is a newer technology but, is the power of a dual core processor equivalent to a Pentium 4 or more powerful for the amount of ghz?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Are you talking about the AMD X2? Both Intel and AMD offer dual core systems. The fastest one out there now would be the core 2 duo from intel.

3. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

No, I was referring to the intel dual core systems.

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Dual core would be a faster choice. Plus the pentium 4s run hot as hell. It heats my damn apartment

5. Jaysin

Jaysin New Member

Im rocking a core duo @ 2.24 ghz. I think its amazing, and ive done countless photoshop, video editing games and countless multi-task things that put it to use.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The direct answer to your question is that Pentium 4 is obsolete.

Something to consider, if you're familiar with the old Torque vs. Horsepower debate among car enthusiasts:

MHz ≈ Horsepower
    Cores ≈ Torque

What this means is:

Multiple cores don't make your computer go faster, because cores can't add their power together; they make it possible for the computer to run more programs without bogging down. A single core cannot run more than one program at a time, whereas multiple cores can.

The way a single-core computer manages to run a lot of programs at once is that it switches between programs very, very fast; the OS tells the CPU to go run program X for 1/1000 of a second (for example) and then come back to the OS for its next assignment. This process is a convenient way to do a bunch of stuff at once (as far as humans can tell, anyway), but it gets to be more and more inefficient the faster the CPU gets. That's because program X will inevitably have to stop and wait for the hard drive to give it some data, and hard drives aren't much faster now than they used to be. So the CPU has to go ask the OS what to do next more and more often.

Multiple cores do two things to make the situation better. First, the OS only needs to be called up once for all of the cores to get their next assignments. Second, each core can do its own thing without interrupting any of the other cores. Since a multi-core computer can actually do two or three or four things at the exact same time, each core is less likely to hit 100% usage and be unable to devote spare time to more programs. And even if one core does hit 100% usage, the other cores will be able to handle running extra programs. And if one program gets stuck in a loop, the other cores can still manage to run Task Manager so you can kill the stuck program. That's why it's harder to bog down a multi-core computer.

You may have heard of Hyperthreading. This is not the same as multiple cores. Instead, the CPU has room to store two assignments at the same time, so if one program has to stop and wait for the hard drive to give it data, the CPU can switch over to running the other program instead of dragging the OS in to give it a new assignment. That way, it can work close to 100% usage more often, and it seems like it's faster, but it's really just more efficient. That said, efficiency is nothing to sneeze at.

The Pentium D Extreme Edition combines both technologies to good effect; the Pentium D has two cores, and each core has room to store two assignments. So on top of being able to do two things at once, the Pentium DXE also doesn't need to bug the OS for more work every time a program has to stop and wait for data. It's an admirable combination, and I hope they keep doing it.

That's it, class. See you next Tuesday; don't forget the first draft of your term papers are due.

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ive got a s478 pentium 4 (prescott) at 3.2, though I usually run it at 3.8, its only 3.28 right now. And motherboard monitor reads my temps as: 57cpu 33cmos. Which is funny because they both have aftermarket coolers (though the cmos isnt a fan, its a bigger sink than the stock one. And my GPU (x800 pro) runs at 45C core and 41C memory. And that has the good zalman cooler on it. And its essentially idle right now.

Heres a p4 article http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1693/

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Nice, was that written by you just now? Or an article? If the former, then very well said.

As Ive got hyperthreading I do notice an increase in performance with it enabled (simple bios option), actually quite a bit too). Not only does it get 2 "jobs" at once, when 1 of them goes back to ask the OS what to do, the other can still keep doing whats its doing. So instead of the cpu having lots of ups and downs for what its doing, it keeps a much more consistant flow and if what you are doing requires lots of processing power (video editing or something) hyperthreading has an advantage there aswell. Though you wont see twice the power as you would with a dual core (per say) because with hyperthreading it cant "do" 2 things at once, but it can queue them up. Think of it kind of like added cache, or a cpu buffer.

But yes, we are talking obsolete nowadays, just get the dual core :o

9. deusexaethera

I wrote it myself, yes. My dad's a lawyer and an english teacher; it rubbed off. Thx for the compliment.

EDIT: AMD is supposedly going to roll out a set of Quad-Core Opterons in mid 2007. If you can wait another year to buy a computer (and most everybody can), then you can score one of those chips and it will be virtually impossible for you to stall your computer.

10. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

I dont think I can wait any longer. I have a Dimension 2400. Celeron 2.2 ghz 40 gig 512

11. deusexaethera

An extra 512MB of RAM will keep that computer running smoothly for another year or two. A video card upgrade will help it run games a lot better too, because the CPU won't have to waste time doing graphics-type stuff that your old video card can't do (assuming you have an old card, that is).

www.oempcworld.com can sell you the exact kind of RAM your Dell uses, and the price is comparable to NewEgg.

12. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

13. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

Go towards the future, go for dual core. More and more applications are taking advantage of the huge processing power punch that these thigns can deliver. yes, pentium 4s do run hot, even though mine runs at 35* Idle and 42 full load. Not too bad for stock cooling from an old Gateway modded onto a Northwood :big grin:

14. deusexaethera

42C is nothing. My Athlon XP runs at 71C idle and 78C under full load. It hits 83C if the video card is pumping out tons of heat too.

It's stable as a rock, though, so the heat is of little concern to me.

15. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

The dual core will out-perform the Pentium 4 in any category.

Heat output, processing power, electricity consumption... damn near anything.

Consider the Dual-Core's upgrades from the single-core Pentium 4.

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Core 2 Duo E6400 or E6600

17. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Excellent write up and right on the money. :bigthumb:

18. deusexaethera

Danke.

19. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

I am currently thankful that someone else on this internet can type in proper and readable english. Great post.

:bowdown:

20. deusexaethera

Gee, guys, you're going to get me thinking well of myself. :cool:

It's not just good typing skills, it's also being able to explain shit in simple terms without using big words. I guess my company's got me writing user manuals for a reason.

Not calling everybody and their brother a fucking idiot helps, too. :big grin:

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I keep waiting for jolly to say what a fucking idiot you are... he's taking too long. I'm not saying you're a fucking idiot, thats jolly's job. I don't even disagree with you really... but I miss jolly's shitting on you. Where the fuck is he? Right on que, he's supposed to call you a moron shitbag, and the absense of such a rebuke is killing me.

22. deusexaethera

He's banned for a week for being himself in the SUV forum.

If his shitheadedness appeals to you, you need to get a life. This forum is much more civil without him.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

His shitheadedness appeals to me, and I have a life. And he enriches it.

24. deusexaethera

You're amused by needless shitheadedness. Fantastic.

25. elizard

elizard New Member

DC all the way