Dual core and XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by esoteric goat, Sep 27, 2007.

1. esoteric goat

esoteric goat Esoteric means delicious.....

I'm a little behind and just upgraded to an AMD 64x2 and I hated vista so I just reinstalled XP Pro (32-bit version). I got two questions. 1. Is there anything I need to do to get XP to take advantage of the dual core? 2. Is there any advantage to using the 64-bit version of XP-pro? no clue why the spacing is so fucked up....

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Nope. Just update windows depending on what install CD you have.

The 64 bit operating system will allow you to use more memory and take advantage of 64 bit programs. The problem is that there really aren't many programs that make use of it and the driver support for 64-bit windows sucks. Stick with 32-bit right now unless you're certain you need 64 bit for professional reasons.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Most programs won't use both cores, but Windows will alternate between which core it tells each program to use, so the overall workload will still get split roughly 50/50. The computer will be harder to bog down because of that, but don't expect individual programs to run any faster than they did before.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's not quite what you're looking for, but you can tweak the cpu usage in some circumstances.

For specific instances where you want to run say a dvd encoding on one core, and browse with the other core, you can open up task manager (right click toolbar) > Processes tab > find the process you want to isolate and right click it > select affinity > set the process to run on CPU 0.
    Now do the same with the other process, and select it to run on CPU 1

It doesn't save the setting though, so next time you run the app, you'll have to reset it.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Im assuming by doing this your setting the usage of CPU so that one core handles one particular program, other cpu handles another ? What kind of effect would this have on a single core with HT? guessing nothing but just curious

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

As far as I know, you wouldn't see the option for two cores with a single core cpu with ht.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You will see the option to delegate a process to one core or the other, even if you have a single-core CPU with Hyperthreading, but it won't accomplish anything. All Hyperthreading is, is the CPU has two slots for the OS to put work assignments into, so when the CPU has to stop working on the first process, it can switch to the next one instantly instead of having to drag the OS back into the picture to find out what its next job is.

8. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

mine has it, single core but w/HT so I can set a process to one cpu or the other I didnt figure it would have any effect is what I was wondering