dual channel RAM in macbook, any actual benchmarks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emorphien, May 27, 2006.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

We all know that the marketing machine says you get twice the bandwidth running dual channel in the MB and in theory that's true. Dual Channel has been around for quite a while with many varying claims to how much it will boost performance and 95% of the time there's more exaggeration than fact to the claims.

I'm curious if there are any actual performance benchmarks showing what the real world gains to running dual channel are on the MBs. Obviously if you run dual channel at 1gb, there will be some error fudge factor if you compared that to running 1.5gb without dual channel but any major benefits should be apparent.

I looked a bit and didn't see anything. My internet is also being horrendously slow today :rolleyes:

2. emorphien

emorphien New Member

ok so can anyone actually show, from their own experience, what gains there may be

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

look up reviews of the socket 939 amd 64s. they have dual chanel ram controller built in vs the 754. might be roughly applicable to the kind of gains you would see.

4. emorphien

emorphien New Member

No, that doesn't really help me any. I know what the benefits are CPU side (on the Intel mobile chipsets it's not a huge boost but it's there). I specifically want to know what the boost is for the GPU. I'm fairly certain that the architecture is identical to many PC notebooks running dual channel with integrated video and Apple is the first to get giddy over having double the bandwidth in dual channel. I haven't seen anyone care nor mention that before so I'm curious what the reality of those claims is.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I didnt know they had dual channel, but then again i have a g4 :o