Dual Channel Memory question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jayrod, Jun 18, 2003.

1. jayrod

jayrod Lurker extraordinaire...

I'm looking at the Asus A7N8X mobo for an AMD 2700+

now, I don't know a whole lot about memory technology, so bear with me...

would it be more advantageous for me to use 2 256mb sticks in different banks to take advantage of dual channel memory features, or just use 1 512mb stick? :confused:

2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

If you want the most performance you can get from the board, then you need to use the dual channel features. To do that you need to have at least two sticks of RAM.

3. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

Also, make sure that the RAM and the Front Side Bus on your processor have the same speed. If your FSB runs at 333 MHz (which I believe the 2700+ does), get RAM that functions at that speed to (this would be pc2700 RAM). This allows the clocks to sync and increases performance.

4. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

if your motherboard has dual channel DDR capability/support....do you have to get special RAM that is Dual Channel RAM or will any DDR RAM function in Dual Channel mode?

5. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

on an amd system 1 stick is just as good as 2 sticks in dual channel mode.

the processor's internal bus of 2x'fsb' limits your ram throughput to double data rate anyways. doubling your already doubled data rate won't do any good if your processor can't handle it. dual channel is only worth doing on an intel 865 or 875 rig. (and now the a64 FX based systems)

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Your MB will tell you this, but you need to put the sticks in specific slots to take advantage of the the Dual Channel Technology - they're color coded.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

get 2 sticks, and put them in the matched ports (i.e. both in black or both in blue slots. One in each = 2x256 still in single-channel config.)

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

You need 2 sticks of X amount of ram (PC2700) to take advantage of the speed increase that is available in in A7N8X.

It's not that the processor is taking advantage of the 2nd stick, it's that the motherboard can increase the rate at which data is written to the ram - thus increasing the overall speed.

By the way, splurge for 2 sticks of 512mb PC2700 - the speeds when dealing with large files, meaning anything over 512mb, will be MUCH better with a gig. Especially if you don't have a 2nd 8mb cache drive to run a page file off of :)

Edit - regarding the dual-channel aspect - There are 2 memory controllers working concurrently to manage the data - controller 1 reads/writes while controller 2 prepares the next read/write, then when controller 2 reads/writes, controller 1 is preparing it's read/write. Since the memory controllers are seperate, you get approximately 6gb/sec worth of bandwidth, which is double what the standard PC3200 systems (DDR400) operate at. Basically, more bandwidth = more data that can be read/written = faster operation.

And I usually recommend no less than 1gb of PC2700 ram with the A7N8X's, they always work the best with 2 sticks of 512, if not 2gb composed of 2 sticks of 1gb. Most people generally don't want to spend that much in ram.

And yes, I've used 2gb of ram up and had the page file (3gb page file) be used completely. ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  9. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

you seem to be missing the point. your advice would be good on an intel based p4 system, but not on an amd rig.

dual channel at 200 fsb on an athlon will give you sandra scores of about 3000-3200mb/s. dual channel at 200fsb on a p4 800fsb processor will give you sandra scores at 5,000mb/s. dual channel on a p4 is about 75% efficient meaning your 6,000mb/s - 25% = 4500mb/s. how do you account for the athlon's incredibly low performance? exactly right the dual bus inside the processor instead of the quad bus.

that said if you were planning on anything larger than 512mb i would get dual sticks anyways because they are cheaper. if just going for 512mb or less i would stay with a single stick on an amd rig.