Dual channel DDR question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by terminator1010, Nov 15, 2003.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I have a mobo that supports dual channel DDR. I need to upgrade my memory. 256 mb of pc3200 memory costs ~$50 512mb costs ~$100. (Canadian prices) Should I get two sticks of 256 or two sticks of 512? Will I really need that much memory? I'm into gaming mainly.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Not really - I honestly don't think you'll notice the difference between 512 and 1024 if you're a single app user. You could use that 100 bucks elsewhere right?

3. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

depends on what games you're into. 1gig of memory can make a world of difference. a lot of people who play swg noticed a huge improvement when they went from 512 -> 1024 megs.

if you like to play the new and latest games, get the 1gig of ram. 512 is slowly becomming the minimal amount of memory they recommend.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i noticed a HUGE difference with 512 to 1024. Just general performance in XP improved.

But the games i play dont require that much (hell u can get away with 32mb...) so they didnt benifift.

5. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I also noticed a big difference playing Halo and Flight Simulator 2004. I originally had 512 pc3200. it's worth the upgrade to 1024. After about 15 minutes of playing FS2004, my 512mb was maxed out.

Stay awayfrom generic, in my opinion. I had a bad experience with generic memory, like stability issues and random reboots. Try name brand, it fixed my problems.

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ive never had a problem with generic, but then i dont overclock cause the extra 600mhz i probably wont noticed unless i do benchmarks, which are worthless anyways.

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

One easy way to determine if you will benefit from extra memory. If you are running Windows with NT kernel Ctrl-Alt-Del, to the performance page. Look at the bottom left corner, and see how the Commit Charge. See what's your Peak Commit Charge, and compare that to the number of Physical Memory space that you have avaliable. If your Peak commit charge is greater than the size of your Physical Memory space, you will benefit from extra ram.

If you never use more than 256MB of memory space, I honstly don't see why and how you will benefit from a 512MB to 1GB memory upgrade. (assuming the memory timing is unchanged)

8. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Get one stick of 512MB now. Save up some money and get another stick later. That's what I'm doing. :dunno:

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

That's true - the DDR functionality is cool and everything but it doesn't speed your machine up dramatically.

10. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm using dual channel Kingston ddr 400. I'm using 2 256mb pairs = 512mb. My peak was 409,xxx for usage. Is dual channel really worth it, or should i just return it for a single stick of non dual channel 512>?

11. jrmy

jrmy Guest

hell yes gowith the 1024 megs
    with the system load togays games re putting on our fast ass computers.... :)