Dual booting XP and Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSTRBKR, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I have two internal disks. If I put XP on the second one and keep vista on the first will the BIOS let me choose between them when I boot or will I have to go into the BIOS settings each time and choose from there?

Also, when in vista can I access and use files from the disk with XP on and vise versa?

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

The easiest way of doing this is to have XP installed initially and then install Vista to a seperate disk.

Vista will see the XP install and create a boot screen where it asks you which OS you want to boot from.

If you try to do it backwards (Vista first and then XP) XP will fail to see the Vista partition and NOT create the DOS screen.
    If you do this there are options. Google 'boot managers vista' and you should get some choices in boot managers.

Your second question, Vista is basicaly an NTSF partition which is the same partition format as XP. XP has no issues reading and moving files off the Vista partition and Vista has no problem reading and moving files off the XP partition.

There may be some issues if you have XP installed to a Fat32 partition.

3. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Okay. Can I not just go into the boot menu and select which hard drive I want to boot off thus choosing my OS?

I'm only putting XP on to play one game that doesn't work on Vista.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes and no. Windows itself loads based on which disk and partition you installed it on. If you change the order of the disks via the BIOS, it won't load.

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Hmm I don't think this is worth the time it will take.

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

You can edit your boot.ini file and put Windows into multi-boot mode. Then you'll get a choice each time you boot of which OS you want to load.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Technically, if you have SATA drives, you can go into the BIOS and choose which one to be the primary each time you want to swtich. I think I'd do it right though by installing XP first then Vista.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes you can