Dual Boot XP & Linux??? GRUB lockdown

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grocerylist, Dec 21, 2006.

1. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Can anyone help me? I already have XP installed but I want to install CentOS 4.4 and Dual Boot the two.

I tried this last night already and had to reinstall XP today as I was unsuccessful. I'm not sure what was wrong with my install last night. I partitioned the first 100mb for GRUB and partitioned 8Gb after my XP install for linux. The install process for Linux went without error. After it was completed I rebooted only for my computer to lock up as it appears that GRUB was about to start loading to let me choose which OS.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Dual Booting XP & Linux? Or maybe a walkthrough tutorial?

Ideally I'd like to install Linux on a clean system w/o XP but I don't have a spare PC for that purpose at the moment.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Are you sure you want to go with CentOS? It sounds like it could be their bug. Dual booting is typically very simple, it usually just works, but that's with the likes of Ubuntu or Fedora Core. If there's not a particular reason to go with CentOS you could try Ubuntu (well, it's my favourite).

edit: oh, check for BIOS oddities (don't ask how, it just sounds like it could be a problem around that area. Google is your friend)

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, I would tend to agree.

That said, you should always install Windows first, then Linux when setting up a dual-boot. In my experience, Windows does not like being dual-booted and will tend to fuck things up if installed after Linux.

4. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

I was planning on using CentOS because there was a potential job opportunity for me where a company was using CentOS. I'll check my BIOS to see if there might be anything odd in there.

Penguin Man... so are you saying to use XP to dual boot and forget GRUB? I thought about trying that next. I'm just not looking forward to reinstalling XP again if it locks up on me.

Thanks

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

No, no, exactly the opposite. Install XP first, so that GRUB will blow away whatever shit bootloader XP installs. Linux plays nice with Windows (in terms of booting anyway), so if you install it after installing Windows, it will (in most distros I've used, anyway) set everything up nicely.

6. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Gotcha. Thats what I tried initially but for some reason GRUB locked up on me and I was never able to select XP or CentOS. I'll be doing a bunch of googling before I attempt it again.

Thanks