dual boot options, which is better

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sffitzge, Jan 4, 2010.

1. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

i'm about to purchase all the components for a new desktop and I was hoping to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu, as I have never done a dual boot before I have a couple questions

1 would my computer run faster if I gave each OS its own hard drive? (say two 500 gb hds as opposed to partitioning a 1 tb hd)

2 if i decide to partition my hd for now and buy another hd later, can I format both OS to have full access to that new hd/or for the time being partition the hd again and put everything I was shared on the third partition? (I'm trying to avoid having two copies of all my music, or having to use a portable hd all the time)

oh and I've installed ubuntu on a previous laptop (not the most current edition) but have never tried kubuntu, which do you guys perfer?

2. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

sooooo nobody dual boots? thought there might be somebody here who does and have some sort of opinion on the matter

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

1.) No, it wont see it running any faster
    2.) While I cant tell you how off the top of my head, yes you can ghost and move individual partitions.

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

1. No
    2. Yes you can mount ntfs partitions (your windows partition) in ubuntu and depending on what file system you use for your ubuntu partition you may be able to mount it in windows.

if your new PC is going to be pretty fast virtualizing is awesome. A dual boot is good for something like when someone mainly runs linux but wants to natively run games in windows. It would depend on your use case to suggest the easiest/best option.

5. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

I was gonna use kubuntu for general use (internet, writing papers)
    and windows for gaming/engineering programs (so i can avoid using wine)

but i wanted to be able to access music/movies on both so i'm not always running things off my external

6. GOGZILLA

dual boot would be your best option then. id make three partitions: one for windows, one for ubuntu, and one for media. Install windows on its partition first, create an ntfs file system on the media partition. When you install ubuntu from the cd it can detect the windows partition and add that to the grub launcher on powerup so that way when you powerup youll have the option to launch either. Also with the media on its own partition you can feel free to wipe out either OS install whenever and not worry about your media going away. Obviously windows will have no problem reading the media partition but on ubuntu you'll have to do this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

7. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

sounds good, thanks for the link

8. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Off topic, but do you know of a way to mount an NTFS partition running Ubuntu live off of the CD?

9. GOGZILLA

you can probably do it the same way. anything you install when running off the live cd is just installed to ram

10. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

you can dual boot ubuntu without partitioning anything, put in the cd and choose install within windows

basically it'll install/uninstall just like any other windows program

[​IMG]

11. GOGZILLA

thats an easy solution that I didn't know about but also to note there that if anything happens to your windows install or you gotta reformat it you lose your ubuntu install. Since it seems like windows is going to be your secondary OS i'd still consider the dual boot option

12. Shizzle

Shizzle New Member

Install windows first, then install ubuntu. The ubuntu installer will automatically detect windows, and set up grub, so that on boot you can choose what OS you want. It will also let you resize the existing partition, so windows is one one, and ubuntu is on a new one.