Dual boot file sharing Linux and Windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jadix, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

I am currently running two separate HDs with two different operating systems, linux and windows. Is there a way to transfer files between them?

2. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

Explore2fs for reading Linux partitions in windows, and my linux box can natively read my windows partitioned drives...

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's a plugin for Windows called Ext2IFS that allows it to mount and read EXT2 drives. I believe it will also work for EXT3, but it won't have the file-access permissions or the journal. For this to work, your linux drive would have to be formatted in EXT2 or 3.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

In Linux you can actually mount other file systems...even if they exist on different machines across a network. When I messed around with dual booting, I found it was hella easy...but that's been years ago so perhaps it's changed.

What I did was launch Linux then use the mount command. It's something like this:
    /bin/mount <filesystem location> <mount location>

There is a man page available or you can google Linux Mounting Filesystems. Here's the first link I found and I think it'll explain how to do this.
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/linux/mount.html

Here's an even better link:
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html

When it's mounted, the windows partition looks like any other directory to Linux so you can use any file manager program to move files around.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hmm, that's a good point. You COULD use a network storage drive to store all your shared files, that way you wouldn't have to worry about what filesystem they're in. If you get a gigabit router and a gigabit-capable NAS enclosure for your media hard drive, the network speed will be so fast you won't even notice it's going over Ethernet.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah it's actually one of the very handy features of Linux. At my last job, we sold the company and were migrating the data to their accounting system. OUrs was on an HP-UX box and it was almost out of harddrive space.....like to the point of not being able to even generate reports. The company we bought it from told us it would cost approx $5,000 for another 36 GB of space. :gfight:

I said well we're just going to go buy a 200GB drive from our local computer store, throw it in a machine we have lying around and put Red Hat on it...then mount it onto the HP-UX box. Wouldn't that work?? They didn't like the idea and tried to discourage me from doing it but after talking with everyone about it, we moved forward.....afterall the new company didn't need this machine after they were done with the migration.

It worked like a charm too....took about a day to get everything hooked up and the partitions moved around and data copied. However, once it was up, man....our old system was smoking it was soo fast.