Dual Action/Orbital buffer/sander questions.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CyberEye, Mar 31, 2005.

1. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I'm going to go out either tommorrow or Saturday, depending on when I get over this bloody strep throat, to get a DA/Orbital buffer/sander. I've been told that it's not necessary to get a PC, and that a DA or Orbital Sander will suffice as long as I get hook/loop backing plate for it and proper pads.

I'm not sure what piece of hardware I'll be getting since I don't konw whats available around here, but I was thinking about this backing plate:
    http://www.eshine.ca/proddetail.php?prod=BackingPlate&cat=28

and these pads:
    http://www.eshine.ca/proddetail.php?prod=PadKitNoPlate&cat=28

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, what should I look fore in a DA/Orbital sander/buffer?

Will be used to apply my polish/sealant/wax.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd look for a Porter Cable 7336 or 7424 only. They are really the only one with enough power to effectively polish out paint. If you are going to spend the money on a polisher, might as well spend the money on one you know will work.

I am sure the products Chris carries for polishing will work well.

3. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

CyberEye let me clear up some confusing for you DA(Dual Action), RO, ROB(Random Orbital Buffer) which means the same thing as Orbital Sander. All of these does the same thing vibrates back and forth.
    PC means Porter Cable which is a brand name here is a link
    http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2804
    Like Scott says but watch out for Scott he just wants to buff your sister

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I know they're all the same, I wasn't confused about that. My question/confusion was about a regular DA or RO sander working instead of the bloody expensive porter cable version

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

In this particular instance, you get what you pay for. When your useing an RO on a car, you are really going at it. Especially with the finer finishing polishes. You need to have a piece of equipment that will be heavy duty enough to withstand the beating, and continual high RPM usage that it will be requied to run to get the proper results you need.

Yeah, the PC is expensive....but it will outlast about every other RO on the market 5:1. And when it comes to the cheapies...10:1. So the initial cost will eventually pay itself back, in its longevity.

SO, in closing, save your pennys...suck it up, buy the Porter Cable with a 6 inch counter weight (Like the 7336SP, which is what i have), and be more then happy with it for a VERY long time.

Ive had mine now for a little over two years, and it still runs like a champ, just like the day i bought it. WHereas a buddy of mine who has spent $50-$60 on cheapy buffers, has gone through 4. I still have my Porter Cable.

Hope that helps.

6. iLLt3ck

iLLt3ck OT Supporter

I've heard that the porter cable unit can run off your car battery because it draws so little current? True?

Also does it come with said attachment standard?

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: The motor is 3.7 amps so with a power inverter, you should be able to run one. There are no attachments for 12v use.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Not that i would want to try though. :noes: