Dual 2.5 G5 - Dual Monitor Drama

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eighteen_psi, May 28, 2008.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

At work I'm on a DP/PCI-X 2.5 G5, 6GB, R9600XT :hsugh:

The second display has been breaking for no apparent reason, on and off, for a while now. There's 2x viewsonic panels, both DVI and D-SUB inputs on each, and the Radeon has DVI and ADC outputs. No matter how they're hooked up, and which monitor is where, nor how they're adapted from the ADC, one will work, the other won't. Cables are all tested good as well.

Further confounding the issue is that the video card does work - I tried it in another machine (and it's known good 9600 in here) - it's this box. Beyond that, even an archive reinstall didn't fix it. But sometimes it'll work out of the blue for a day or two. PRAM reset fixed it one time, but none of the other dozen or so times I've tried it.

Working on one monitor sucks, apple is worthless as far as helping out. Anyone run into this type of thing before? Suggestions before I go insane?

:wtc:

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

OK, dug up a 17" ADC display to play with - it works fine on here with one of the viewsonics on DVI or DVI->D-SUB. Swapping the ADC monitor out for an ADC->DVI viewsonic results in a black screen, unless I also pull the first viewsonic, then the second works only. At least I can use it as a secondary in the mean time I suppose.

What gives :(

3. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

wrong frequency maybe, could be display settings , or simply a display firmware issue vs. card. I dunno, my dual g4 had issues with a radeon 9800 pro where as a 7800 GT is flawless :S