SRS DT's/alcohol withdrawals? (ANON POST)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by i killed tupac, Aug 6, 2008.

1. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

(ANON POST)

DT's?
    I was just wondering if someone could describe what DT's feel like, I've been getting weird sensations, but I think it's either gotta be that or low blood sugar... though I'm farely sure I'm not diabetic.

heart rate racing out of nowhere as if I took an upper like ecstacy, shakiness...weird breathing. All out of the blue while sitting watching tv.

I always try and eat something sugary whenever I feel this and it'll got away eventually, but I dunno if the sugar has anything to do with it or if its just passing on its own.

2. i killed tupac

I've never experienced DT's, but it's my understanding that they not like what you are describing.

I have, however, experienced exactly what you are describing, for some period of time, daily, a few years ago. I had no idea what was going on. I thought maybe diabetes, maybe heart murmurs, maybe i was going crazy, thyroid, undiagnosed major illness, etc. I googled my symptoms and found some people had the same experience, and they called them panic attacks or anxiety. So I went to a doctor, got tested for everything, underwent treatment for depression (i didnt know i was), and they went away.

Best of luck to you. Remember, it took a while to get this way, it will take a while to get better, too.

3. TucsonTerror

TucsonTerror OT Supporter

:werd:

For all, it's important to be honest about your consumption patterns when talking with your PCP or filling out forms. It's a significant contributor to health and will hep your doc with determining what tests are needed as well
    as the final diagnosis. I lied for a while until the light went on and I got honest with myself and my doctors.

4. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

I've experienced the DTs, and it's EXACTLY like that...

To start, and then it gets worse. Heart rate and BP continues to climb... But if it has been more than 72 hours, you should be in the clear.

If you are drinking like I used to... Get home from work in the afternoon and hit it hard until you pass out at night - then the next day, say around noonish you start getting the sweats, shakes, increased heart rate, etc. It's probably withdrawals kicking in. Happened to me every day for years.

Not sure how much you're drinking. And your age is a factor too. Younger folks tend to handle alcohol withdrawal better than the older crowd.

With the sugar thing... it's really common for alcoholics to crave sugar when getting sober. Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. And if you were drinking lots...

I know that I was craving sugar big time and I know lots of other folks that have as well. Just part of the territory.

5. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

time for the hospital/ detox

6. i killed tupac

a lot of that makes sense

7. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

Aside from directly affecting blood sugar, triglycerides etc, drinking alcohol also prevents your liver from regulating your blood glucose levels and can cause your blood sugar to crash. Ever get shaky or that weird twitch in your eyelid when you are hung over? That's low blood sugar.

I had a lot of those other sorts of symptoms you describe before, during and after being an active alcoholic. Most of which was PTSD, depression/anxiety related. They persisted for a year or so into sobriety and that was when I realized that I needed to see a Doctor. Some people in AA thought it had something to do with my spiritual disease, the steps or whatever but they were wrong, I got meds and they helped, I also saw a Psychologist who was able to help me with the anxiety and addiction issues.

I have never experienced DT's though. So I couldn't comment on that.

See your Doc, shrink, NP or whatever and check it out. I wished that I had done it sooner. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  8. i killed tupac

(ANON REPLY)

Sure...

Thanks to everyone for the info, that all gave me a better perspective on whats goin on with me. I really appreciate it. I'll definately hit you guys up again if I have any more questions I need help with.

9. Shapedoctor

Shapedoctor Omnivore, & Author of the Shapedoctor Manifesto

The first stages I can remember were really bad semi-dreams while laying in bed trying to sleep. After I would become a little more aware of the situation I'd feel totally weak and miserable. Weak enough that moving around at all felt like a chore and generally involved a good deal of shakiness. My eyesight would be bad and I'd have what I call motion hallucinations. I wouldn't actually see anything specific, but I would frequently see what I perceived as motion, as if a mostly unseen animal was darting about in the room.

One time I was like this in public and some police started questioning me about what I was on. The problem wasn't what I was on though, it was what I was off.