dsm whoas :(

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mike Panic, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

my gli was wrecked the end of july... so after owning it for 3.5 years, and having 3 other vw's prior to that and a slew of other cars, i figured id give the dsm world a spin...

figured for as ugly as the 1g talon/eclipes's are, they are fast, easily modified and awd is fun in the snow

found what i thought was a great 90 talon tsi awd turbo, black, normal faded hood/roof/wing

96k miles

great price... ran great, bone stock...

the guy i bought it off of co-owns a mid 11 second 93 tsi as well that is in the proccess of going form a street car to a full on drag car, so i figured i wasnt getting screwed

in fact, they even gave me the 2.5" s/s BR downpipe, test pipe and alum exhaust off the 93 cause they needed a larger exhuast for more boost on their race car

car ran fine for 2 days... then i broke a power steering hard line, dont know how

got that fixed after waiting a week for the parts to come in

then the car starts running like POO... my friends and i go over it.. .most of them either have 1g's or gvr4's and we can't figure it out, its not spitting out any error codes

i break down and take it to the dealer, find out ive got a smoked ecu.

less then a month of owning it and im already dumping in a ton of money :(

ok, im done ranitng

2. Stock

Stock New Member

Welcome to the club! Learn to love it.

3. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

keep in mind it is a 13-14 year old car. not really high miles but when you have a car in the NE or anywhere near snow or rain (as rust had shown a bit) then it leads to quicker wear on little cheap parts that piss you off. boots, seals, electronics,etc

Come on now man you owned VW's. VW owners also learn to love the things that go wrong in their cars as do 1g dsmers

My 2G has been pretty reliable since ive had it the last 3 years. Knock on wood

no crankwalk and i'm at 98k miles :x:

4. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

yea... its just somewhat frustrating cause none of my vw's started to break down on me in the first 250 miles of me owning them, lol

5. matt_c

matt_c Guest

argh DSMs are almost as bad as crack, you know they are bad for you, but for those few days they actually run, you think it's the best thing you've ever had.

6. slow car

slow car OT Supporter

well said... I'm perplexed that I've had no mechanical problems in two months. Since the crank pully incident... lol

7. JDMDSM

JDMDSM Guest

Yay Yay Yay

YAY SPECIAL ED YAY YAY.

Yep welcome to the club. Your gonna be doing alot of work. But unlike those Hon-Duh or Wackura owners we learn more about our cars. lol.
    And if yo went andpaid 350 for an ecu you got screwed. you can get em used for $50. or buy an AEM ecu for $1500 that will work in any car you program it for. not dot legal though.

red97gst, my buddies crankwalked at 100,000 exactly. he decided he wanted to do a 100,000 mile cruise and take pics as his odometer rolled over and right when it hit 100,000 it walked lol.
    hopefully yours doesnt. knock on wood

Hes got a nice JDM 4G63 now because of it though.