A&P DSLRs that failed after being in bad weather

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, Feb 27, 2009.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

There are quite a few threads from people who say, "Is it OK if I do this..." or "I'm planning to go outside, will my camera be OK"? The threads usually ends with a lot of speculation and then a bunch of "Get a weather sealed XXX DSLR next time and then you'll be OK" posts.

So here is a thread for people whose cameras actually failed after being in the wet, heat, cold, etc. What were the conditions that caused your camera to fail? Did it need to be repaired or did it just need to cool down or warm up or dry out?

I have a D80 and season football tickets. I'd like to hear what it takes weather-wise to make a camera fail to operate. Thanks, OTAP!

2. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

lots of change in altitude/weather conditions have made my d70s die a couple times. just needed it to rest a couple time.s

3. Section8

Section8 .

My D70s would occastionally act up when in Wyoming/ Montana with the altitude changes, but nothing serious. Never a hard failure. Usually just turn it off then on again and it would start functioning properly again.

4. percent

percent deluded

Never had any problems with my D40. Its been at altitudes between -50' below sea level and about 14000' or so. Temps between about -10 and 110. When its really cold the battery sometimes doesn't work and i have had frosted lens problems before. I have used it a some in snow, but i don't like being outside in the rain (plus I spend most of my time in the desert).

5. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

The only issues I've had is when my memory card gets to 50%. :dunno: But I've only got like 7 or 8K shots on my 40D.

6. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I've shot ice carving shows for my friends and have had my camera sprayed with streams of shaven ice plenty of times. It's fine.

D200 btw.

7. Spurious

Spurious New Member

My 300D failed after I took it into the tub for some aquatic erotic photography.

8. BUCE

BUCE what the fuck is the internet?

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

:bowdown:

9. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I routinely use my 40D in -10 to -20 degree temps. I put it in my freezer afterward and then move it to my refrigerator to gradually bring the temp back to 70 degrees. No issues except that when its cold I can hear the sensor cleaner run louder than normal if I forget to turn that feature off.

10. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

I get err 99s with extremely cold weather.

11. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm not gonna worry too much this fall now that I read these posts.