A&P DSLR noob here, please stop in and give me some tips

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nerfball, Feb 20, 2008.

1. nerfball

nerfball New Member

I have only used the camera and Lightroom for a few weeks now. I haven't actually gone out on a picture quest and shot random buildings or wildlife. To my credit, though, I have kept the camera (Canon EOS Rebel XTi) on the manual setting so I would be forced to learn what the settings do.

[​IMG]
    I know, how original, a close up of flowers... :ugh2:
    It was more to play with aperture and lighting.

[​IMG]
    again, typical noob shots of the doggah. :hs:
    experimenting with Lightroom, I liked the colors.

[​IMG]
    here is doggah (Ellie) in regular color for comparison.

[​IMG]
    shot of my niece at her baptism. I know its sort of bad composition, but its impossible to shoot children, they hardly ever stand still for a second. :o

I'm going to try and shoot the lunar eclipse tonight. let's see how that goes. go easy on me. :hsd:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I like the doggah pics but the other two seems to be a little unsharp/ noisey.

Your post processing looks good, nice and simple.

3. nerfball

nerfball New Member

yeah, you know, I had the ISO up too high with the last pic of my niece, I tried to mask it by using that sepia like filter. I should have lowered the aperture instead to increase the amount of light the camera captured, but lesson learned I suppose. the first pic of the flowers I thought looked pretty good, maybe its the lower res version that looks fuzzy? I had the lowest aperture setting on that one, 3.5 I think? the flowers in the forefront should be in focus, you can see the veins on the leaves.

4. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

only comment is for the doggah shot, i would have tried to get a bigger DoF, had you managed to get from the nose to the back of the head in view, that would have made it a much friendlier phot

5. nerfball

nerfball New Member

yup, good call. I actually took a few other shots while she sat there in a host of different setting combinations. I wanted to see what effect things would have. I have a couple other shots like you describe, but the background sucked. I liked the angle and knowing the dog's serious personality, I felt it captured her well. :dunno: