A&P DSLR how to book?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RyeLou, Jul 9, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

My girlfriend has a very nice Canon 10 or 12 MP point and shoot camera and I've been bothering her to get a DSLR. Her only excuse she ever comes up with is she doesn't know how to use a DSLR, so I was going to pick her up a book or something that shows what the features adjust and how to use them. We're both Canon people, but in looking at the store it seems like you have to pick a specific camera almost to get a book like that. I'm not sure which one we would end up getting. Does it really matter, or are all Canon books going to be close enough? Or is there something generic/basic enough for what I want?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

There are plenty of generic books about digital photography. You don't need a specific one for your camera however they can be helpful once you've mastered a basic understanding of photography.

3. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

The fastest way to learn is to get one into your hot little hands and mess around with it. Reading a book w/o having one would be kinda hard?

Most of the canon DLSRs build on each other though, IE it's very simple to move from a 300D to a 40D, 50D, then 5D, etc...

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I agree with that, which is why I don't want a book specific to a camera. She wants to know what changing ISO speeds does and things like that...the technical aspects of it, not necessarily how to take a good picture using it. Once she knows what everything does I think she'll feel more comfortable playing around with one.

5. Keiphus

You might just have her sit down in front of google for about an hour. You can learn everything about fstop, film speed, shutter speed, etc very quickly, and it's all available on the net for free.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Good point. I'll get on Google while I'm still at work this evening and look around. Sugestions on websites then?

7. Keiphus

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter