A&P DSLR: Full kit vs. body + different lens?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Apr 12, 2006.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm (slowly) saving up for my first DSLR and I'm wondering if I should get the Rebel XT full kit or just the body and a different lens. I read all over that the kit lens isn't that bad but I'm just wondering what OT thinks.

If I were to get the body and a different lens it would have to be in the same price range of the kit lens. Maybe a little more.

I am a beginner in the DSLR area. So I don't know too much about terminology and all that. Any recommendations on a book or webpage that goes through a beginners crash course in DSLRs?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I'd buy it with the kit lens, then save up for a better lens while your learning.

3. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

id get the kit with the lens. i originally didnt do that when i got my drebel (although different reason - i had a lense from my old film slr, but didnt take in the 1.6x magnification factor so i i never was able to get a 1x shot, only 1.6 which was annoying). WHen the kits lense did finally go on sale by itself i got it. It may not be a pro lense but it gets the job done especially since im just an enthusiast.

to sum up - get the kit lense and use that for awhile. if u later on feel like its holding u back then get something new.

you may also want to get a higher zoom lense as ur second lense later on before buying a really nice one of the kit's zoom.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

Since zoom isn't measured by "x optical zoom" with SLRs, if you could put a typical "x optical zoom" on the kit lens, what would it be?

5. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

I've done it both ways. The kit lens is a piece of junk in my opinion. Mine wasn't a USM version so that might be the reason. Personally, If I were you, I would forget the kit lens and buy a 50mm f1.8. It is a prime so you don't get zoom, but you will adapt quickly.

The quality is MUCH better than the kit lens and the 50mm only costs ~$70.00.

Here are some pics I took with mine. This is the only Lens I had (besides kit) when I went to florida. I only took the 50mm and I have no regrets about it.

100% crop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

100% Crop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% Crop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% Crop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now for some resized (sick of cropping, sorry.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only one with a little photoshopping is the penguin pic and I just dropped the levels a bit to make it a tad darker.

6. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

in my opinion the kit lens is junk. i bought my 300D digital rebel used and the previous owner threw in the kit lens.. i sold it right away. i have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens which was around $310 new.. and i also have the 50mm f/1.8 lens as said above.. i bought the 50mm used for $55 shipped. Even though it's not a zoom.. the f/1.8 DOES come in handle.. and it's a lot sharper than the kit lens. The kit lens is just a plastic lens.. it's junk. if i were you i'd buy the 350D now.. cause they have like a $100 or $200 rebate going on right now.. then once you get that rebate in.. buy a good walk around lens. or buy the 50mm f/1.8 to practice on.

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

^ what they said.