A&P DSLR for my birthday:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SycoPhant, Mar 1, 2009.

1. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I was essentially present-jacked for Christmas, (which I don't care because I'm 28 so w/e) and my Mom feels bad about it. I'm constantly bitching about the horrible slowness of my A530 and she wants to get me an inexpensive DSLR.
    Suggestions? Keep in mind I'm not doing pro shit with it here, I'd just like to be able to take some better pics. The Canon is fine for pics of people but it can't take still/landscape shots for shit. I'd rather rip my old Kodak DX4900 apart and figure out how to repair it than bother to snap a plain old sunset with my Canon.

2. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

canon 20d + 50mm 1.8

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

used 20d or 30d and a tamron 17-50/2.8

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

A DSLR won't give you "better pics" per se and the only responses you'll get in this forum are from nutsackriders so look into either a DSLR-like camera or another simple p&s.

But go and mess with some at a camera/electronics store and report back with which ones you liked/disliked and we can give you better direction from there.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

whats your budget?

6. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I know it doesn't automatically mean "better pics" but it'd certainly mean I was more capable of doing so. Plus I could leave the a530 at home w/ the wife so she can take endless pics of the kid.
    I'm open to different brands, the only DSLR I've ever used extensively is my sister's Pentax and I really quite liked it. I'd say budget wouldn't go over $500, so it's going to be stuff that's a model year or two behind what's out now obviously. My sister's was about $600 at the Navy Exchange last year if I remember correctly.

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

stick to Canon or Nikon unless your sister has an extensive lens collection for Pentax that you could share.

Canon has the largest lens selection, then Nikon. The other systems don't even come close.