A&P DSLR Exposure Value question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tex, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Out of interest:

I have the 300D, and I've been taking pics here and there, bracketing my exposures and the like, and the trend I'm seeing a majority of the time is that the exposure that is one stop over correct is the shot which comes out looking best.

Is setting the EV to +1 and shooting on what the meter says is correct the same as taking a pic (with no Exposure Compensation) one stop over correct, and assuming it is, is there any reason not to set it to +1 all the time?

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I think you can go +1 all the time or just leave it alone and shoot in raw and adjust later. You can play with exposure settings when you're in the "file viewer utility"

3. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

As far as I know, if you set it to raw, all exposure settings like exposure compensation, saturation levels, etc. that you can set on the camera are ignored and the raw data that the CCD sees is recorded in the raw file.

And +1EV is adjusting the brightness and contrast of the photo, not actually giving it one stop more light, so I don't think it's the same as taking the shot with one stop more light

4. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Hmm, yeah, fair call.

5. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Surely camera exposure correction does actually change the exposure - otherwise it's a pretty redundant feature. On a film SLR camera it would have to change the exposure..

it's bloody easy to check anyway. Find an object under stable lighting, check the camera's exposure metering with normal settings and then set it to +/- 3EV and see if the exposure is changing. If the metering has changed by 3 stops then it's doing proper exposure compensation. If it's the same as before it's doing cheap software tricks :ugh:

If it is changing the metering and it improves the majority of photos then there's no problem with setting it permanently..

6. Merli

True story Kinks.

Just checked it, and it just sets the light meter to read over or under as much as you set it.

I don't see the point of that. If you want to overexpose one stop, just shoot each frame one stop over. If I set exposure compensation, I'll forget to switch it off and then the next time I do a shoot I'll shoot everything one stop over :uh:

Is it that hard just to expose the frames at "1" on the lightmeter if you want 1 stop overexposure? As opposed to setting it so it goes to zero? :dunno:

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Yep - my 30 year old FT QL has a meter that relied on the (lower) voltage of mercury cells for its metering - when you stick a modern silver oxide or alkaline battery in it your meter is out. So I overexpose every photo by about a stop using that camera, and they come out pretty close to correct.

If you're shooting in a particular situation where you want compensation just do it in your head or you will forget to remove it the next time you use the camera. I'm only recommending compensating for the camera's built-in bias so you know that 0EV on the meter is 18% grey. I'd call it exposure calibration rather than compensation, really. Compensation should be done by the photographer ;)

The other reason I can think of, (I forget the last SLR I used came out of 1970 :rofl: ) is that exposure meters these days have stops marked on them. So if you want to check you're not losing shadows or blowing out highlights you want to set the exposure to 0 and then aim the meter at the brightest and darkest points. On film you've got 2.5 stops latitude either way so the meter will show you if you're going to lose detail. Sure, you've got histograms and flashing highlight reviews but it takes under 2 seconds to check during composition and you don't have to pull back to look at the LCD all the time. Just a bit more time-efficient.

Cameras are like swiss army knives, there are only a couple of functions you really need. If you spend all day playing with every feature you'll miss the good shots!

Christ, I can waffle :rolleyes:

8. Merli

I didn't read all that :hsd: :o

But I skimmed it and agree with the above :big grin:

9. Merli

Yep.

Exactly my point.

What exposure compensation does, is recalibrate that lightmeter bar. So if you point it at a wall, and set the settings so you get a 0 reading (correct exposure) and then changed the exposure compensation to +1 EV, all it does it recalibrate the lightmeter so it now shows "-1", making you give it one more stop of light so it goes to "0" again.

Useless.

10. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

seems like a case of different strokes for different blokes :)

if you're in one of the program modes EC is the only way to vary your exposure. and if you can use it effectively more power to ya!