A&P DSLR Crew, recommend me a lens!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by geekierthanyou, Mar 5, 2008.

1. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

So as some of you know from yesterday I was planning on purchasing the 70-200mm L f2.8 lens. As I looked through all my lenses I've been wondering about that decision. My current full time lens is a Canon EF 28-135 f3.5-5.8 IS USM. I have a few other lenses but they are entry level and I don't like the quality of them anymore so I will probably sell them. I realize that if I get the 70-200 I will have a boatload of overlap between my two lenses that I will have left. Given this, should I get something else? My shooting mostly consists of landscapes while hiking and such, but I have done 2 weddings that went pretty well although that isn't my overall plan... I don't really want to do weddings except for as a favor to friends that are poor. I also LOVE doing night shooting and the 28-135 doesn't do an amazing job in low light. Does anybody else have this lens? Maybe some pointers for night shooting without a flash?

Cliffs: Sell it all and get two separate lenses, or keep my 28-135 and add on with something else? Landscapes and night shots are my favorites.

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

10-22 if you're on a crop camera, and a good CP filter based on the information you gave.

3. aCab

aCab New Member

The 28-135 sucks. Sell it Buy the 70-200, then a 24-70 f/2.8 then a 10-22. Buy a tripod. Call it a day.

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

10-22 is my favorite lens to shoot with, if your not shooting professionally, than I would get it first.

5. geekierthanyou

What sucks about it?

6. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

It "sucks" compared to L-glass...it's not a bad lens :dunno:

7. geekierthanyou

I got a good price on it when I bought it ($250) and I do think it's nice for simple things like family gatherings... I just don't know because the amount of overlap between this and the 70-200 is pretty big... of course I do know that the 70-200 is the king of the jungle and in the overlap areas I would use it for sure... maybe I'll get the 70-200, the 10-22, and if I find that the 200 isn't long enough a lot of stuff I have seen says that I can get a 2x extender and it will work fine.

8. geekierthanyou

I think I'm going to rent each of the lenses I'm interested in and make the decision from there. I love renting lenses!

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd: 10-22 > * for landscapes

10. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I'm still hunting for a good price on a new or used Canon 10-22 USM.

11. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I also have an EF 28-135IS. It came in the kit with my 30D and I figured I would use it for a while to learn more about my camera. It's actually a pretty decent lens, but it isn't as sharp as L glass obviously.

I'm also trying to upgrade from the 28-135, but doing it on a budget. Ideally, I'd love to get a 10-22, 24-70, and 70-200 f2.8, but I just can't afford it. My upgrade plans are the Sigma 24-60 f2.8 (especially since it's still so damn cheap on amazon) and the 70-200 f4, then I'll sell my 28-135.

I don't shoot landscapes, so I'm not worried about getting an ultra wide just yet. I mainly shoot people (sports, candids, portrait) and cars so being limited on the wide end isn't going to kill me.

edit: just saw you're favorite is landscapes, so I guess my suggestions don't apply, you actually DO need the ultra wide lens.

12. geekierthanyou

Hehe, for my current ultrawide photos I've been taking about 9 pictures and stitching them together in photoshop... it's kindof a PITA but it gets the job done!

13. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

If landscapes are your thing, I wouldnt go with the 70-200...

14. geekierthanyou

Yea, it's sounding more and more like I should start with the 10-22. I do eventually want a good portrait lens and somewhat of a distance lens because I would have fun with it at something like a zoo... The thing is while I know I would love the shots... I hate the zoo :) That's what keeps getting me. I look at all the pictures I have taken and I see that like 80% of them are landscapes, but I know that eventually I will want to move into people / objects and for that the 70-200 reigns supreme. I suppose the wise course of action is to keep the 28-135, get the 10-22, and eventually when the time comes that I need it get the 70-200 or whatever is available at that time.

Thanks for all your suggestions btw guys, it's really appreciated.

15. geekierthanyou

So I've been using my american express platinum for work stuff a lot lately... I have 67,000 points on my card. American express sells Canon Lenses (albeit at a VERY expensive price). The thing is, if I apply my points to the price I can get the 10-22 EF-S for:
    Apply 64,621 of available Membership Rewards points balance toward my purchase. Cost to me (after credit of $323.10) is $415.90

I think I will wait till my stint with traveling is over, and use all my points to lower the price of this lens and boom! Cheap brand new great lens.

16. Devin

Devin New Member

I'll sell you my 28-135 for 300 dollars. Used for one shoot. = ]

17. geekierthanyou

I already /have/ the 28-135. In fact I used it for a few hours today at a soccer game. I figured out that I was missing one lens that I have even though I rarely use it cuz the glass is crap. It's the first lens I ever bought and it's a canon 75-300mm. No IS or anything, but I was using it today and we'll see if it can be saved as soon as I load up these pictures here. If it turns out to be fine for my abysmal skillz I'll just get the 10-22 and be done.

18. Devin

Devin New Member

Ah, my fault . I didn't read the entire thread. : ]

19. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

sounds interesting :x: