DSL Speed/Download question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, May 13, 2006.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I just moved and had to downgrade from Cable to SBC DSL Express, i actually get pretty good ping in online games, CS:S gives me around 25-35 ping. The part i really noticed that is horrible is downloading, if i download a program online or something no matter who the host, it will download at 15 to max of 20kb/s...it takes me hours to download relatively small files. I was curious what i can do and why my DSL does this? Ive seen the download accelerator programs, do those really do anything? thanks

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You need a bigger pipe. No snake oil will turn a 200 kbit DSL into 2 mbit DSL. Go to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and post your speeds.

3. saberman3000

saberman3000 New Member

20 kb/s sucks man...thats real slow for a DSL. my verizon network card give me upto 200 kb/s

whatever daniel suggests. get a bigger pipe or better yet, upgrade to cable.

download accelerators cache in the pages that you most frequently visit. thats their purpose.

4. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

I run Download Accelerator Plus. Merrits me about 50Kb/s on my DSL. My advice, upgrade the DSL.

5. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I can't, they said DSL Express is all that is available in my area because i am at some ridiculous distance from the nearest server. So im guessing im shit out of luck, the download accelerators will have no effect?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

download accelerators will not help. Nothing will change that you can't get good speeds.

And for the record, cable is not always better than DSL -- it depends on your area.

You can get 7Mbps down 1.5Mbps up DSL for the same price as 3Mbps/256Kbps cable where I live.

7. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya, Cable was insanely fast when i had it, i couldn't believe it. But fuck that sucks i can't increase speed, oh well thanks for the help.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I have DSL and get ~400down/~60up :dunno: