DSL slowdown

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LS1S13, Jan 2, 2010.

1. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

I've been using TDS dsl for the past 2 years or so, first with a 3mb plan and, as of 2 weeks ago, a 10mb plan. For the last 3 weeks or so, at peak times, I've been getting serious slowdown. From about 6p-11p EST I'm usually down around 1.7-1.8mbps with 400ms+ latency. I've talked to their tech guys, had some come here, and they've said everything is fine on their end and on my end. Is there anything I can do besides deal with it? It's my understanding that a dsl line is a direct link to the ISP, unlike cable, so other people around me being online shouldn't effect me right? Any help would be appreciated.

2. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

3. jojomcdougal

jojomcdougal All proceeds to go literacy. OT Supporter

Running torrents?

4. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Nothing else is running at all.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

FWIW:
    A DSL line is a direct line to the switching station which itself gets all its bandwith from a trunk line.
    If the trunk line is getting slammed then all the DSL lines that come off of it will get slammed as well.

Onto your problem.

Somewhere there is a grey box which marks the demarcation point between you and the phone company.
    A demarcation point is the place where the phone companies responsibility for maintenence ends and yours begins. They can normally be found on the outside wall of a house, but it is possible it could be a number of different places.

Here is what you do.
    Go find that damnable box. Take a laptop and your DSL router to it.
    Open it up (don't worry, you are not breaking any laws by doing this, this is NOT like an electric companies box).
    It should have 2 sides, one labeled phone company and the other labeled user (or some such labeling, it has been a while since I have screwed with this).
    There will be a jack marked 'Test'.
    Plug your DSL modem into that then plug your laptop into the DSL modem.
    Give it a few minutes to make the connection and then do your speed tests.

IF the test you do shows no difference between what you were getting inside your house and the box then congratulations, the problem is with the phone companies equipment.

IF the test shows faster rates then what you get inside then you know you have an issue inside your house.

Okay. assuming it is on your end.
    The be all end all fix will be stringing a telephone line directly from that grey box to the DSL modem. Call the phone company and get them out to do this. Pay them for it.
    As an added benefit you won't need any of those phone line filters if you do this.

6. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Just tested it at the box outside. No improvement.

7. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Back on the phone with TDS. :sad2:

8. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Was on hold for 80 minutes before I gave up.

Now it's after peak time and I'm back where I should be
    [​IMG]