DSL setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Doog, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Doog

Doog New Member

I just orded earthlink DSL, eveything came all right but im having a little bit of trouble getting it up and running.

I was told that phone cable and DSL cable are the same, but im not sure if thats true?

I dont have jacks in the house and have to run from the outside so the dinky cable that came in the box definately wont reach. So assuming the cables are different can I by about 50ft of it and everything will work? Or...

Any help or advice would help greatly. :bowdown:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not even close to the same. Cable is coax, and phone is UTP.

If you've never done this, don't. Standard phone wire is NOT acceptible for an outdoor run. You need to use Category 3+ TP wire with a jacket rated for outdoor runs.

If you had to ask... pay a professional .

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you don't have any phone jacks in your house? you should probably get a professional or a friend that knows how to wire up a wire line properly.
    where and what are you hooking into anyways that is outside?
    get some outdoor cable and feed it somewhere into the house.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

He wasn't talking about coaxial cable as found in cable tv, he's talking about a regular phone cable vs. a "DSL cable" which are one and the same.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

incorrect. Most ISPs use a UTP or STP cable for their DSL phone lines. That is *not* the same as the non-twisted linear-pair that most phone cable is.

6. Doog

Doog New Member

well when i look at the DSL cable that came with the packet there are one green and red wire as opposed to the standard 4-orange,red,purple,whatever wires.

My question is can I put a splitter on the outside line and and buy a long "DSL" cable and run it out there..im sure the sale guy at the local computer store (not comp usa, actually a computer store) can answer questions and point me in the right direction as to what cables are suitable to the outdoors.

About where im putting it in outside, im not sure, im asking for a friend

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You need to run cat3 with a jacket rated for outdoor runs. A standard radio-shack splitter is not a good idea. You need a 110-block or to wire at the NID