DSL & Router question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Freonthewhite, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Freonthewhite

Freonthewhite FrEoN OT Supporter

Hi, I have 4 computers at home that i want to connect so they can share files and all browse the internet simultaneously through my 1 DSL connection, i'll be using a wired router because i'm under the impression that it's cheaper. This is the router i want to use

ROUTER

Am i correct in assuming that the only things i need then are this router and Cat5 cable. I only need to connect my DSL modem to the router, then run cable from the router to each of the computers, and then theoretically windows xp will understand what needs to happen. Is that true???

Also I have a question about the Cat5 cable that I need, I read that it would be ok for me to use Cat5 or Cat5E or Cat6 cable, however do i need a Patch cable or do they need to be Crossover cables??? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks for your help :) Sorry for the mundane questions i'm new to this

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

If you can afford the wireless router I would go with that, just so in the event you get a wireless card you are ready to rock and roll.

Yes, it looks like you are correct on how you are going to set it up. The Linksys router will need to be setup to do DHCP. You can use pretty much any type of cable, cat5 is usually the norm to use. You'll just plug the computers in and that should be it.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Cat5/Cat5E patch cable is fine. You do not need crossover cables.

There may some setup invloved like DHCP and such like said above, but what you listed is all the hardware you will need.

4. Freonthewhite

ok thanks a lot guys, but what is DHCP?? I mean if i just use the wizards in xp to set up the network will everything be ok

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

DHCP stands for dynamic host configuration protocol. This is built into the router and is what gives each machine connected to the network an IP address.

This is most likely turned on by default and you may not have to configure anything unless you want to give the machines static IP addresses.

I'd more or less plug everything together and see what happens first.

6. Freonthewhite

ok thanks, i hope all goes well