DSL random disconnect's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Contemptor, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

A while back, I had a crappy modem that plugged into my pc via USB, and had no ethernet. I decided I wanted to route it via ethernet, but I had to get a new modem because mine didn't support that. The DSL company (bellsouth) wouldn't give me a new modem, but offered home networking for $10 a month :rofl:
    I bought a modem off ebay, Alcatel Speedtouch. I hooked it up to a D-link ethernet router my dad had. Now I'm not sure whether it started happening before or after I set this up, but this is when the internet started disconnecting. It wouldn't say it was disconnected, by the internet would often drop for about 20 seconds.

About a year later I got a D-Link Wireless G Airsomething. I still have the same problems. If it disconnects and I go right away to the router settings (via it's IP) and press disconnect and connect again, it normally starts working without having to wait.

So- I definitely don't think it's my router, as both have done the same thing. Now I don't know whether it is my internet service or my modem. Is there any way I can test to see which it is? I know it's not the main computer it connects to, because often the wireless computer will do the same when the main is shut down.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If something in an electronical set-up doesn't work right, suspect the part from e-bay first.

3. i say it's your modem.

4. Cassie1225

Cassie1225 New Member

Could be the modem or the line, do you have dsl filters installed on all your phones? The speed touch home modems are very old, so still could be the modem as well. When you lose connection, do you actually lose DSL "sync". Unfortunately those old modems are just "bridged" you can't access them to check your line stats.

Bellsouth can hook you up with a free modem if you agree to one year of service more, or you can get a Westell 2100 or 6100 off ebay, change the VPI/VCI to 8 and 35, get online....then flash it with Bellsouth's firmware and it would work with Bellsouth just fine. It's not the normal route that customer's go but it's an option :)

5. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I have DSL filters installed. What do you mean do I actually lose the dsl sync?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's likely the modem. I would swap back to your carrier-supplied modem to test.

Your modem should have a "sync" light. Does it go out or blink when you disconnect?

Whatever you do, don't sign a contract -- if you do, and a problem arises, the carrier has little incentive to help you, and you will be stuck with them.

7. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Hm, I guess I will, it's just a pain to do that because I have to install the software for it and such. I'll have to check the sync light thing.