DSL Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shawn4element, Jan 11, 2004.

1. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

I am getting SBC/Yahoo DSL http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/dsl and I have a question. What do I need to get for DSL? I've been with 56k so long, I've forgotten what I need to run DSL. IT comes with a service pack with things I need, but I'm not sure of what else is necessary to use DSL. Thanks.

2. KatieDSM98

KatieDSM98 Guest

You'll more than likely need a DSL modem, unless it already comes with one (which I didn't see from looking over the site quickly). Any DSL modem can be connected two ways. Through USB or an Ethernet card. The ethernet card is the way to go by far. While the DSL can be connected and disconnected like a 56k connection, if you plan to leave it on for extended periods of time, then I'd recommend a firewall as well.

3. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

SBC provides you with a modem if one is needed. The modem is 99 dollars, but you get an instant 99 dollars credit..yadda yadda. so its free. All you pay is shipping and handling which is heard is about 15 dollars or less.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Firewall

Might as well get a Router though, since they cost about the same and the router has a built-in firewall. Plus, if you want to add any computers later on, or now even, that's two purchases in one.