DSL Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Fish, Dec 1, 2003.

1. The Fish

The Fish Guest

Greetings,

I dont usually frequent this forum but I figured it was about the best place to get help on a problem that has plagued me for over a year. I have had dsl through bellsouth and noticed that usually when I connect it takes anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes to actually do anything. I use aim, along with my web browser and both will not pull anything but naturally the connection says that I am connected. Eventually if I am lucky it will begin working. This also happens when I leave it on overnight, or idle for a couple of hours. I get good fast service but the 20 minute wait sometimes seems to be a bother. I for a while thought it might be a virus or something or is this just something you have to live with. If anyone knows what might be my problem or has a question on my setup please ask. I am just hoping to resolve this issue. Thank you.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

What do you mean by "when I connect"? Do you mean when you plug the DSL modem into the line, or when you open your browser or AIM or whatever?

3. The Fish

The Fish Guest

once i use the connection software they sent.. it will say connected to bellsouth, its similar to dial up networking for dial up except its some software they sent with the dsl.... even though it says its connected it wont pull anything for a while....

4. Penguin Man

Hm, weird, I've never heard of that sort of arrangement. Can you use your DSL without the software?

5. The Fish

The Fish Guest

i am not sure. If there is a way to connect without using their software i would love to... is there any way to connect not using there specific software.. like back when on dial up i would use the windows dial up networking rather than the software they sent b/c i found it to run smoother that way.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Windows XP is the only one that has a built-in DSL connector. Do you have Windows XP?

7. Penguin Man

Your DSL must work differently from mine, I can connect to mine on any OS without any special software :confused:

8. Zourn

If you use a router, those have built-in DSL connection protocols, and turn the connection into a network connection, allowing any windows to use the connection.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

Zourn, can you elaborate? Im using Windows XP (both computers actually) and a Linksys BEFSR41 with Qwest/MSN.

10. Zourn

If you are going through a router then you don't need to use the Windows XP built-in connector, use the router's.
    If you router works at all then the connector has already been configured.

11. jrmy

jrmy Guest

i HAD(didn't like thier customer service) Bellsouth FastAccess DSL. didn't come with any of that software when i got it but worked fine without it
    ps(i am now getting dsl through Earthlink its ok but for like the past 5 months ive only been getting like 500mbps instead of the advertised 1500mbps!!!! can't get my dad to call and talk to them about it though!

12. Zourn

Most DSL providers have a 1-800 number that you can call for support. Call earthlink, tell them you lost your CD and had to re-format your computer, and that you need help setting the Windows Connector.
    Don't hang up the phone quite yet. As soon as you get the connection working, go to a bandwidth test site, and tell them you got it connected, but it didn't connect at the speed they said it should be.

13. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

it PPPoE Authentication.. Verizon and other telco's use it for administrative purposes. Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet

14. johnson

johnson New Member

Zourn, almost all ISP's give you an "up to xxx speed" which basically means thats the fastest its ever gonna get. If its slower, its not their fault.

15. Zourn

ahhh yes, but most tech supports have little diagnostics they can run right there at their computer and see if there is something obvious that is dragging the connection down. My Isp sent out a guy who went and changed a bunch of stuff in our phone box and even ran new wire from our box to the jack we're using(at no charge). I use SBCGlobal.

16. Penguin Man

Ah, I see. Mine uses MAC address authentication.