DSL Latency

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morgan06, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Background: I've been with SNET/YAHOO/SBC/AT&T since DSL was available in my area. In my home there's four PC's and an xbox 360 all on a wireless WEP protected network. Every PC has been recently scanned and cleaned of virus/spyware, necessary ports are set for WoW, torrents, 360, etc. Personally, I hadn't gamed online since kali.net :eek3: and then got an Xbox 360 last year - now I'm ready to cal it quits all over again...

My problem is that up until three months ago, even on the standard 768kb plan there was never any latency/lag issue. Now my brother is getting a 200-400+ms ping on WoW after 3PM on most days. I called tech support, trying to find someone smarter than I was, and couldn't. They ran their line tests, and 'everything checked out'. They gave me a plan bump to 2.5mb, and sent me a new modem. I caved in and bought a DLink 655 router. But I still can't play my 360 at peak hours. Doesn't change if none, one or four PC's are up and running. Wireless signal is always 80% or higher.

A good ping for me is 50-90ms, it comes and goes but it's usually golden until mid afternoon. What could be causing this?

cliffs: I've got a bad ping at peak times, hardwiring the modem didnt help, new router didnt help, plan upgrade didnt help, tech support didnt help. What can I do?

ibIminurcompzstealingyurmegaherts
    ibavless06lurkerGTFO!!1!

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

umm.

playing games over wireless doesn't seem to work in most cases. use wired ethernet.

also, wep = shit. wpa > wep

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I understand ethernet > wireless

What I'm asking is why after 9 months of flawless performance would latency start affecting my gameplay?

I'll check into wpa vs wep, but I thought the encrypted keys were only used to prevent wifi leeching? I don't think that's the case - as a wireless signal travels 500m (?) and that would only encompass four of my neighbors.