DSL just decreased in speed for no reason i can think of

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i was just checking out the public ip on my modem when i noticed that my speed has decreased by about 1/3

it used to say down - 1536
    up - 384

now it says this:
    [​IMG]

this would be ok if i was the only person using this connection. as far as i know, my service level didn't change. i did notice that the sbc guys were messing with the box down the street last night. also, my modem has occasionally lost it's signal a couple of times this week. but it comes back on after a couple of minutes. also, sometimes if i restart the modem, it will say 1056 down instead of 1024

this sucks, because my download speed is like 120kilobytes per second now, used to be around 190. i haven't even tested the upload, but it used to be about 30K

look at this sad report:
    [​IMG]

so, i guess i call SBC tomorrow?

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

In Aus the DSL speeds are limited by the software at the specific port in the exchange. If it is the same where you are the only thing you can do is call your provider. The guys working on shit may have screwed up somehow.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I believe the modem will adapt to line conditions to a point. So crappy line = lower sync rate. Either that or someone at SBC screwed up your account.

4. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I have Bell Sympatico and really the connection has been complete BULLSHIT for the longest time. It's utterly slow and we're paying for nothing in return.

5. dorkultra

i'm going to call sbc and my friend who lives in the neighborhood, he has the same plan

i will try moving the modem, to the main jack. i'll see if that changes anything

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I did all of the "things" they've told me to and seen no improvement. They are fucking with the cap I bet.

7. dorkultra

you know what it was, my parents plugged in a new phone and didn't use the dsl filter on the line
    fuckin a, i felt like a retard when i discovered that halfway through the tech support call..
    and i'm a networking major too, i should have started at the first layer of a osi model :mamoru: