DSL hates NewEgg?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Dec 7, 2006.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Since I've been using CenturyTel DSL (3mb/512) with a Westell C6100 modem, I have been having sporadic problems connecting to newegg.com. Sometimes, i can connect with no problem, other times, I get timed out waiting for it to load. I've tried it with Firefox 1.5, Firefox 2.0, IE6 and IE7 and the problem exists in each browser, though sometimes the main page will load (possibly cached) in IE, but the page locks up when I click a link.

I found that the Westell modem is also a router, and was trying to do NAT, firewall and DHCP, so I switched from my Linksys BEFSR81 router to a standard switch, which didn't help. My last attempt was to bridge the modem, using the Linksys router and that didn't help. I even set the router to DMZ my machine, and that doesn't work either. If anyone has any viable options, please throw them out as it REALLY annoys me that I can't access newegg at any given time. Thanks.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

well, don't know about your service, but I am on DSL (512k) and have never had a problem with any sites /etc... the only thing is that sometimes i can't find the router (damn b wireless and in a military runway path)... but i have used a linksys wireless and am using the isp's 2wire now (linksys was by far better tho, imho)

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Both browsers?

Damn. I got nothin.

Unless maybe you have too much firewall action going on.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hmm, yeah, sounds like the kind of weird shit that happens when there's any Norton of McAfee products installed.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Hrm. I ran into a DNS issue with Newegg a couple of days ago where they would sporatically not resolve but it cleared up in about 24 hours. Try a different DNS server (google for public DNS servers and try a few, or try 151.164.1.7 or 151.164.1.8 [SBC]).

6. DaIceMan

does anyone know the IP address for newegg? I could just browse direct, instead of by domain.

7. DaIceMan

8. DaIceMan

new wrinkle. I was able to connect tonight and browse around... then I noticed I wasn't logged in. As soon as I clicked login, and was redirected to the secure portion of the site, it locked up again.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Sounds like something's blocking port 443. You running a software firewall?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Did you move your DNS settings? Most likely the HTTPS site is redirecting you to a different FQDN.

11. DaIceMan

Guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was... where do I change the DNS settings?

nm. I found it. been a while since I'd messed with that stuff. slipped my mind.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  12. DaIceMan

bringing this one back with updates...

I got tired of not being able to browse newegg, so I decided to set all of my network equipment back to default and start from scratch.

DSL modem direct to my PC... newegg works perfectly. So this leads me to believe there is a problem with the settings on my Linksys router. Anyone have any ideas what I could fine tune and keep it working like it's working now.

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've had problems with my router opening pages when I have some activex turned off. But you mentioned that it happened with both browsers, so it sounds like something else.

14. DaIceMan

well... I messed with all the modem settings. Turned off the firewall and bridged it to a dumb modem. Put the router back in place, redid all the settings from scratch, updated the firmware and it seems to be working right now. I was able to log in and out, browse in secure areas, check my wish lists etc. :dunno: maybe it was a freak deal and I missed a setting somewhere, but as long as it's working, i'm happy.

nothing would suck much more than getting ready to build my new machine and not having access to newegg. ;)